Semiconductor bandstructure computation

In summary, the conversation discusses the task of plotting the bandstructure of a free electron in silicon using python. The equations and instructions for setting up the matrix and loop are provided, along with a question about the convergence around T and a request for an example plot. The suggested solution involves using the Fermi-Dirac distribution function to calculate the probability of occupation of energy states and plotting it against the wave vector.
supermanii

Homework Statement

To plot the bandstructure of a free electron in silicon using python.

Homework Equations

We have been told that to do this we must use the 15 lowest magnitude reciprocal lattice vectors (so 2pi/A (0,0,0), (1,1,1), (-1,1,1) etc...). We are then told to setup a matrix with kinetic energy terms along the diagonal given by

[itex]\frac{h_bar2\left|k + g\right|2}{2*m*e}[/itex]

where g is the reciprocal lattice vector, k is the wavevector m is the mass of an electron and e is the charge on an electron. For the free electron case all potential terms are set to 0.

The Attempt at a Solution

I used python to loop over the k vectors between (0.5,0.5,0.5) to (0,0,0) to (1,0,0) (L to T to X) and plotted the result. I have attached the plotted bandstructure. This seems wrong particularly the convergence around T (k= 0,0,0). However I am quite sure it is not a programming issue as I have checked the program's results by hand. I think rather that I am misunderstanding the instructions or that the method is incorrect can anyone help shed some light on this? Also if anyone could show me an example plot of free electron silicon bandstructure? Thanks in advance

Attachments

• pythonplot.png
    pythonplot.png
    10.9 KB · Views: 413
Physics news on Phys.org
. A:If you want to plot the band structure of free electron in silicon, you should be using the Fermi-Dirac distribution function to calculate the probability of occupation of the energy states. The Fermi-Dirac distribution function is given by:\frac{1}{1+e^{(\epsilon_F-\epsilon)/k_BT}}where εF is the Fermi energy, kB is the Boltzmann constant and T is the temperature. You can then plot the band structure by plotting the probability of occupation of the energy states against the wave vector.

What is a semiconductor bandstructure?

A semiconductor bandstructure refers to the distribution of energy levels in a semiconductor material. It shows the allowed energy levels for electrons in a semiconductor and how they are affected by the crystal structure and composition of the material.

Why is it important to compute the bandstructure of semiconductors?

Computing the bandstructure of semiconductors is crucial for understanding the electronic properties of these materials. It helps in predicting their electrical conductivity, optical properties, and other important characteristics that are essential for designing and optimizing semiconductor devices.

How is the bandstructure of semiconductors computed?

The bandstructure of semiconductors can be computed using various theoretical and computational methods, such as density functional theory (DFT), tight-binding approximation, and empirical pseudopotential method. These methods use quantum mechanical calculations to determine the distribution of energy levels in the semiconductor material.

What factors affect the bandstructure of semiconductors?

The bandstructure of semiconductors is influenced by various factors, such as the crystal structure, composition, and temperature of the material. Additionally, external factors such as strain, electric field, and doping can also affect the bandstructure.

What are some applications of semiconductor bandstructure computation?

Semiconductor bandstructure computation is used in a wide range of applications, including the design and optimization of semiconductor devices such as transistors, solar cells, and LEDs. It is also used in materials research and development for discovering new semiconductor materials with desired electronic properties.