1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Semiconductor Electrical Field?

1. Oct 18, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The electron concentration in silicon at T = 300K is: n(x) = 1016e(-x/18) cm-3 where x is measured in μm and is limited to 0 ≤ x ≤ 25. The electron diffusion coefficient, Dn = 25 cm2/s and the electron mobility is μn = 960cm2/Vs. The total electron current density is constant and = Jn = -40A/cm2. The electron current has both diffusion and drift current components.

Determine the electric field as a function of x which must exist in the semiconductor.

2. Relevant equations

εx = (-kT/e)* d/dx (ln*Nd(x))

3. The attempt at a solution

Pretty lost here. My first instinct was to attempt a solution with the above equation by taking the derivative of n(x). Firstly, I was thrown off by the given range of x. Should I incorperate it somehow? Secondly, I'm not even sure if Nd(x) is the same quantity as the given n(x). How could I infer this from the question?

If anyone could put me on the right track at least with what equation to use, I would greatly appreciate it!

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?