1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Semiconductor - Hall Effect

1. Apr 14, 2010 #1
    A question on semiconductors.

I need to determine the carrier concentration and type.

I have worked out the type but its the conc. that is getting me.

I have the conc., n, as:

n = wBJ / eV

w is the width of sample, B the mag. field, e is charge, and V the Hall voltage...these are all known EXCEPT J. Now the only other pieces of info I have are the sample dimensions and the battery voltage that supplies the current.

I cant for the life of me see where I find J. I just cant get it!

Any pointers in the right directions?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 14, 2010 #2
    one way to start is by noting that J = I/(wt) , where t is the thickness of the sample ..

4. Apr 14, 2010 #3
    Yes, but i do not know the current? It leaves me in the same boat...

5. Apr 14, 2010 #4
    okay .. what if you considered the relation v = IR >> I = v/R .. you can get it dont give up :)

6. Apr 14, 2010 #5
    Dont have R tho... :p

i only have the info as stated in the question. Damn im confused!

7. Apr 14, 2010 #6
    COME ON!! :eek: .. just break things up >> I cant help you with this one, I will just give hints .. you said you want R , so can you find another relation from where you can get R from what you are given in the question (of course other than R=V/I) >>> there is one please try to make some efforts I know sometimes it is not easy but atleast try harder ..

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook