Calculating Carrier Concentration in Semiconductors Using the Hall Effect

In summary, the conversation involves determining the carrier concentration and type of semiconductors. The type has been figured out, but the concentration is still unknown. The formula for concentration is provided, but the only missing piece of information is the current, which can be found using the sample dimensions and battery voltage. There is a discussion on finding the current and resistance, with hints given to help solve the problem.
Master J
A question on semiconductors.

I need to determine the carrier concentration and type.

I have worked out the type but its the conc. that is getting me.

I have the conc., n, as:

n = wBJ / eV

w is the width of sample, B the mag. field, e is charge, and V the Hall voltage...these are all known EXCEPT J. Now the only other pieces of info I have are the sample dimensions and the battery voltage that supplies the current.

I can't for the life of me see where I find J. I just can't get it!

Any pointers in the right directions?

Physics news on Phys.org
one way to start is by noting that J = I/(wt) , where t is the thickness of the sample ..

Yes, but i do not know the current? It leaves me in the same boat...

okay .. what if you considered the relation v = IR >> I = v/R .. you can get it don't give up :)

Dont have R tho... :p

i only have the info as stated in the question. Damn I am confused!

COME ON! :eek: .. just break things up >> I can't help you with this one, I will just give hints .. you said you want R , so can you find another relation from where you can get R from what you are given in the question (of course other than R=V/I) >>> there is one please try to make some efforts I know sometimes it is not easy but atleast try harder ..

1. What is the Hall Effect?

The Hall Effect is a physical phenomenon that occurs when an electrical current is passed through a conductor placed in a magnetic field. This results in a measurable voltage difference perpendicular to both the current and the magnetic field.

2. What is a semiconductor?

A semiconductor is a type of material that has electrical conductivity between a conductor and an insulator. It is often used in electronic devices because its conductivity can be controlled and manipulated through the addition of impurities or by applying an electric field.

3. How does the Hall Effect work in semiconductors?

In semiconductors, the Hall Effect is caused by the movement of charge carriers (electrons or holes) in the material. When a magnetic field is applied, these charge carriers experience a force that causes them to move to one side of the material, resulting in a measurable voltage difference.

4. What is the significance of the Hall Effect in semiconductors?

The Hall Effect is an important tool for studying the properties of semiconductors, as it allows researchers to measure the concentration and mobility of charge carriers in the material. This information is crucial for understanding the behavior of semiconductors and designing electronic devices.

5. What are some practical applications of the Hall Effect in semiconductors?

The Hall Effect has a wide range of applications in the field of semiconductors, including magnetic field sensors, current sensors, and Hall effect thrusters used in spacecraft propulsion. It is also used in electronic devices such as hall effect keyboards and sensors for measuring current and voltage in circuits.