Semiconductor n-type silicon

In summary, semiconductor n-type silicon is a type of material that is doped with impurities to create an excess of negatively charged electrons, making it a good conductor of electricity. It differs from p-type silicon in its doping agents and has several properties that make it useful in electronic devices. N-type silicon is commonly used in transistors, diodes, and solar cells, and offers advantages such as high electron mobility, stability, and cost-effectiveness.
Marcis231
Homework Statement
Calculate the concentration of holes and electrons in n-type silicon (Si) if the resistivity is 20 Ω.cm and the electron mobility of silicon (µn) is 1300 cm2 / volt. second
Relevant Equations
I still not understand about this, i found so many formulas but I don't know which one i should use for this question
I still not understand about this, i found so many formulas but I don't know which one i should use for this question

Physics news on Phys.org
phyzguy said:
Try reading this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electron_mobility
especially the section titled "Relation to conductivity".

Thank you, I got the answer from that formula after read "Relation to conductivity"

Likes berkeman

What is semiconductor n-type silicon?

Semiconductor n-type silicon is a type of silicon material that has been doped with impurities to create an excess of free electrons, giving it a negative charge. This makes it a good conductor of electricity.

How is n-type silicon created?

N-type silicon is created through a process called doping, in which small amounts of impurities such as phosphorus or arsenic are added to pure silicon. These impurities have one more valence electron than silicon, creating an excess of free electrons in the material.

What are the properties of n-type silicon?

N-type silicon has a negative charge and is a good conductor of electricity. It also has a higher electron mobility than pure silicon, making it useful for electronic devices such as transistors and diodes.

What is the difference between n-type silicon and p-type silicon?

The main difference between n-type silicon and p-type silicon is the type of impurities that are added during the doping process. N-type silicon has impurities with one more valence electron, while p-type silicon has impurities with one less valence electron. This creates an excess of free electrons in n-type silicon and a deficiency of electrons in p-type silicon.

What are the applications of n-type silicon?

N-type silicon is commonly used in electronic devices such as transistors, diodes, and solar cells. It is also used in integrated circuits and microchips, as well as in the production of LEDs and lasers.