1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Semiconductor problem

1. Apr 8, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The resistivity at room temperature of intrinsic silicon is 2.3*103 Ωm and that of an "n" type extrinsic silicon sample is 8.33*10-2Ωm . A bar of this extrinsic silicon with 50*1000 mm has a steady current of 100μA across it. The voltage across the bar is found to be 50 mVolt.If the same bar is of intrinsic silicon,the voltage across the bar will be ?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 8, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

I think you forgot to fill out part 2 and 3 of the homework template. In other words: What do you know about conduction? What did you do so far? Where did you run into problems?

4. Apr 8, 2013 #3
    The thing is i solved the question by using ohm's law but when i asked someone they said current flow through semiconductor is not linear and it won't follow V=IR so that is why i was confused.

5. Apr 8, 2013 #4

marcusl

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There is a point where deviations from Ohm's law appear due to collision processes caused by very high internal electric fields. This is called the "hot electron" regime. It takes some effort to get there, however, so you needn't worry about it for common and practical systems. Ohm's law works fine in general.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted