Semiconductors mostly with respect to photovoltaic cells

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of doping silicon with Boron and Phosphorus in photovoltaic cells to generate electrons and holes. The interaction between these two doped zones creates an electric field, which can separate the electron-hole pairs generated by light and generate a current. It is also mentioned that doping with a 2-valence or 6-valence element does not provide any advantage in generating electricity, as one photon still only produces one electron-hole pair. Additionally, these elements can disrupt the crystal structure of silicon.
dacruick
Hi, I was just doing some reading on semiconductors mostly with respect to photovoltaic cells. I understand that doping silicon with Boron and Phosphorus creates a good semiconductor because the extra electrons from the phosphorus jump over to the 'holes' provided by boron, and then creating holes on the phosphorus side. But why not dope the silicon with a 2 valence element and a 6 valence element so you would double the amount of electrons jumping over?

I suspect that this is because it would take more energy to get the electrons to jump, but it doesn't make sense in my head. I just basically would like to discuss how this works as it is a new concept to me and I think I could learn a lot just by talking about it.

Physics news on Phys.org

The reason silicon is doped in photovoltaic cells is, as you said, to generate electrons where its Phosphorus-doped and holes where its Boron-doped. But something special happens where those two zones meet. On one side you've got lots of electrons which want to fill the holes on the other side.
So around the interface, all the holes are filled and there are no remaining electrons. But it also sets up an electric field.
See, when Phosphorus is put into Silicon, it gives up an electron, leaving it with a positive charge. And Boron takes an electron from the Silicon, leaving behind a hole and a negatively charged Boron ion. When the holes and electrons are gone only the Phosphorus and Boron ions remain. Because these are separated by space, there is an electric field (and its quite strong too, says the maths)
Now when light hits the silicon, it can generate an electron-hole pair (think of a man with a shovel, digging a hole and moving the dirt into a pile). If this happens near the interface then the electric field can sweep the hole and the electron apart before they can recombine. This generates a current.

To get to your question, you could dope silicon with a 2-valence or 6-valence element but you don't really get an advantage when it comes to generating electricity with a photovoltaic cell. Thats because in the end, one photon still generates one electron-hole pair. Furthermore, 2- and 6-valence elements aren't as well behaved as Phosphorus and Boron (they disturb the crystal structure more since they're a different size to silicon atoms)

Hope that helps!

Last edited:

1. What are semiconductors and how do they relate to photovoltaic cells?

Semiconductors are materials that have properties between those of conductors (such as metals) and insulators (such as rubber). They are used in photovoltaic cells to convert sunlight into electricity. When light hits a semiconductor, it causes electrons to move, creating an electrical current.

2. How do photovoltaic cells work?

Photovoltaic cells, also known as solar cells, work by converting sunlight into electricity. The cells are made up of layers of semiconducting materials, typically silicon, which have been treated to create a positive and negative charge. When sunlight hits the cell, it causes electrons in the semiconductor layers to move, creating a flow of electricity.

3. What types of semiconductors are used in photovoltaic cells?

The most commonly used semiconductor in photovoltaic cells is silicon. However, other materials such as cadmium telluride, copper indium gallium selenide, and amorphous silicon can also be used. These materials have different properties and are used in different types of solar cells.

4. What is the efficiency of photovoltaic cells?

The efficiency of photovoltaic cells refers to the percentage of sunlight that is converted into electricity. The efficiency can vary depending on the type of cell and the materials used, but the average efficiency for commercial solar cells is around 15-20%. However, research is ongoing to increase the efficiency of solar cells.

5. How are photovoltaic cells used in renewable energy?

Photovoltaic cells are used in solar panels, which are a key component in renewable energy systems. Solar panels can be installed on rooftops, in large solar farms, or even integrated into building materials. They provide a source of clean and renewable energy, reducing our reliance on fossil fuels and helping to combat climate change.