Semiconductors - role of displaced Silicon or Germanium

In summary, when a pure Germanium or Silicon is doped with a pentavalent or trivalent impurity, the dopant replaces a Silicon or Germanium atom and bonds with four neighboring atoms. The displaced atom either becomes mobile and interacts with other impurities in the crystal, or becomes an interstitial and lies between the atoms of the lattice. The exact behavior of the displaced atom is still uncertain and requires input from experts in semiconductor crystal growth.
logearav
Semiconductors -- role of displaced Silicon or Germanium

Revered Members,
When we dope a pure Germanium or Silicon with pentavalent impurity or trivalent impurity, the dopant replaces Silicon or Germanium and bonds with neighbouring Si or Ge atom. That is Dopant takes the centre position and bonds with 4 neighbouring atoms.
Now where do that replaced Si or Ge go in the crystal?

Physics news on Phys.org

I work with a lot of silicon, but I might not be able to answer this, since I am pretty far removed from the manufacturing process. I would imagine the silicon atom that gets displaced becomes mobile and interacts with any other impurities inside the device (such as oxygen impurities that are usually always present, even for high grade silicon), and creates additional energy states within the bandgap (but not a very large concentration, as to not effect greatly the electrical properties of the crystal itself). I am sure with accelerated annealing you can somehow remove these mobile silicon atoms in the crystal (or neutralize their effects). This is all highly speculative, as like I said, I am not involved in the manufacturing process. I would actually like to know the answer myself, so any experts in the growth of semiconductor crystals should chime in.

The dopant either replaces an atom or becomes an interstitial (lies between the atoms of the lattice)

Thanks for the replies. @Dr Transport: Does the displaced atom lie stationary when it becomes interstitial?

1. What is a semiconductor?

A semiconductor is a material that has electrical conductivity between that of a conductor and an insulator. It can be either a natural element, such as silicon or germanium, or a compound like gallium arsenide.

2. What is the role of displaced silicon or germanium in semiconductors?

Displaced silicon or germanium are commonly used in semiconductors as they have unique properties that make them ideal for electronic devices. They are both considered "semiconducting materials" due to their ability to conduct electricity under certain conditions.

3. How do semiconductors work?

Semiconductors work by controlling the flow of electrons through their structure. When an electric field is applied, the electrons in the semiconductor can gain enough energy to move from the valence band to the conduction band, creating a flow of current.

4. What are some common applications of semiconductors?

Semiconductors are used in a wide range of electronic devices, including transistors, diodes, solar cells, and integrated circuits. They are also used in communication systems, such as cell phones and computers, and in various sensing and control systems.

5. Are there any environmental concerns related to the use of semiconductors?

The production of semiconductors can have environmental impacts, as it involves the use of hazardous chemicals and generates electronic waste. However, efforts are being made to develop more sustainable manufacturing processes and to recycle or repurpose old electronic devices.