Semidifferential Calculus?

• Thread starter Stephen Tashi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculus
In summary, SIAM has announced the 2012 publication of Introduction to Optimization and Semidifferential Calculus by M. C. Delfour. This book covers the fundamentals of convex analysis, with a focus on the Hadamard subdifferential. It also includes commentaries on the subject's historical perspective, numerous examples and exercises, and detailed proofs. The semidifferential electroanalytical method, which measures the semidifferential of current against the electrode potential, is also discussed in the book. Overall, it provides a comprehensive treatment of semidifferential calculus and optimization.
Stephen Tashi
Science Advisor
I came across this announcement from SIAM (Society For Industrial And Applied Mathematics):

Announcing the 2012 publication by SIAM of:
Introduction to Optimization and Semidifferential Calculus, by M. C. Delfour

OK, I give. What is Semidifferential Calculus?

Physics news on Phys.org
I've seen fractional derivative of order 1/2 being called the semi-derivative before. Maybe that?

I think it may be a Calculus in which you allow for fractional derivatives, but I am not

sure.

Apparently not:
Readers will find:
• an original and well integrated treatment of semidifferential calculus and optimization;
• emphasis on the Hadamard subdifferential, introduced at the beginning of the 20th century and somewhat overlooked for many years, with references to original papers by Hadamard (1923) and Fréchet (1925);
• fundamentals of convex analysis (convexification, Fenchel duality, linear and quadratic programming, two-person zero-sum games, Lagrange primal and dual problems, semiconvex and semiconcave functions);
• complete definitions, theorems, and detailed proofs, even though it is not necessary to work through all of them;
• commentaries that put the subject into historical perspective;
• numerous examples and exercises throughout each chapter, and answers to the exercises provided in an appendix.

Yeah I'm lost

Edit:

According to this PDF it sounds like its something they can actually measure in experiments:
Semidifferential electroanalytical method was first introduced in 1975 by Goto and
Ishii6 based on the semiintegral electroanalysis method. It measures the
semidifferential of current against the electrode potential. In the case of the reversible
electrode reaction the following relationship between the electrode potential, E, and the
semiintegral of current, m, applies for a planar electrode and a ramp signal7:

Edit 2: Seems to be related to the subderivative in convex analysis.

Last edited:

Semidifferential calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of optimization problems, specifically those involving nonsmooth functions. It extends the traditional differential calculus to handle functions that are not differentiable at certain points, such as those with corners or jumps. This is important in many real-world applications, particularly in engineering and economics, where optimization problems often involve nonsmooth functions. The publication of Introduction to Optimization and Semidifferential Calculus by SIAM is a valuable resource for those working in these fields, as it provides a comprehensive introduction to this important area of mathematics.

1. What is semidifferential calculus?

Semidifferential calculus is a mathematical tool used to analyze the behavior of functions at critical points, where the derivative is equal to zero. It involves taking partial derivatives of a function with respect to one variable while holding the other variables constant.

2. How is semidifferential calculus different from traditional calculus?

Semidifferential calculus differs from traditional calculus in that it focuses on finding the critical points of a function instead of finding the exact value of the derivative at a specific point. It also involves taking partial derivatives instead of the total derivative.

3. What are the applications of semidifferential calculus?

Semidifferential calculus has various applications in fields such as economics, physics, and engineering. It is used to analyze optimization problems, find the maximum and minimum values of a function, and determine the stability of systems.

4. What are the limitations of semidifferential calculus?

One limitation of semidifferential calculus is that it can only be applied to functions that are differentiable, meaning they have a continuous derivative. It also does not provide an exact value for the derivative, only the critical points.

5. How can I improve my understanding of semidifferential calculus?

The best way to improve your understanding of semidifferential calculus is to practice solving problems and working through real-world applications. Additionally, studying the fundamental principles and concepts of traditional calculus can also help in understanding semidifferential calculus.