1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Semisimple modules

1. Aug 15, 2008 #1
    Can somebody help me with the following proof:

Let M be a semisimple module, say M = +_IS_i, where + denotes direct sum and S_i is a simple module.
    Then the number of summands is finite if and only of M is finitely generated.

I have problem with understanding the proof of the following in my notes:

if M is finitely generated then the number of summands is finite

Can somebody help me in this argument.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 15, 2008 #2

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

This follows immediately from the definition of a "finitely generated" module.

4. Aug 15, 2008 #3
    I know that it is quite clear but still there is an argument which I dont understand and I somebody can help me with this, I will be greatful.

5. Aug 15, 2008 #4

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What argument, exactly?

6. Aug 15, 2008 #5

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

try proving the contrapositive, that if M is any non zero module, that an infinite direct sum of copies of M cannot be finitely generated.

recall the definition of direct sum, and in particular that only a finite number of summands can occur in each element of a direct sum.

7. Aug 15, 2008 #6
    Ok the argument for this theorem in my notes which I dont understand is:

Let M be finitely generated by u_1,...,u_r say. For each u_j we can find finitely many terms S_i whose sum contains u_j. Hence all the u_j are contained in the sum of a finite subfamily of the S_i and this family generates M so that I must be finite.

I dont understand details of this so it will be good if you can help me with the details. Thanks.

8. Aug 15, 2008 #7
    mathwonk, I have a proof of this which I dont understand.

9. Aug 15, 2008 #8

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you understand the appropriate definitions ("direct sum" and "finitely generated"), then the details will be crystal clear.

10. Aug 15, 2008 #9
    Nut why is it true that this family generates M

11. Aug 15, 2008 #10

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It generates it in the sense that its sum is M. (And this is true because M is generated, as a module, by u_1, ..., u_r.)

12. Aug 15, 2008 #11
    Thanks alot

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?