Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Semisimple modules

1. Aug 15, 2008 #1
    Can somebody help me with the following proof:

Let M be a semisimple module, say M = +_IS_i, where + denotes direct sum and S_i is a simple module.
    Then the number of summands is finite if and only of M is finitely generated.

I have problem with understanding the proof of the following in my notes:

if M is finitely generated then the number of summands is finite

Can somebody help me in this argument.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 15, 2008 #2

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

This follows immediately from the definition of a "finitely generated" module.

4. Aug 15, 2008 #3
    I know that it is quite clear but still there is an argument which I dont understand and I somebody can help me with this, I will be greatful.

5. Aug 15, 2008 #4

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What argument, exactly?

6. Aug 15, 2008 #5

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

try proving the contrapositive, that if M is any non zero module, that an infinite direct sum of copies of M cannot be finitely generated.

recall the definition of direct sum, and in particular that only a finite number of summands can occur in each element of a direct sum.

7. Aug 15, 2008 #6
    Ok the argument for this theorem in my notes which I dont understand is:

Let M be finitely generated by u_1,...,u_r say. For each u_j we can find finitely many terms S_i whose sum contains u_j. Hence all the u_j are contained in the sum of a finite subfamily of the S_i and this family generates M so that I must be finite.

I dont understand details of this so it will be good if you can help me with the details. Thanks.

8. Aug 15, 2008 #7
    mathwonk, I have a proof of this which I dont understand.

9. Aug 15, 2008 #8

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you understand the appropriate definitions ("direct sum" and "finitely generated"), then the details will be crystal clear.

10. Aug 15, 2008 #9
    Nut why is it true that this family generates M

11. Aug 15, 2008 #10

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It generates it in the sense that its sum is M. (And this is true because M is generated, as a module, by u_1, ..., u_r.)

12. Aug 15, 2008 #11
    Thanks alot

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?