Senator Sam Brownback of Kansas running on anti-evo, anti-stemcell '08 Prez. campain

• News
  • Thread starter Rach3
  • Start date
0rthodontist
Science Advisor
Russ, are you sure that what you're doing for your boss is a legal arrangement? Couldn't your boss claim forgery if what you said led to something he didn't like? You must have a document signed by him saying that you can speak for him--would that hold up in court?

It seems odd to me that he or anyone would have such total trust in anyone. I certainly would never give anyone free license to represent my opinions. The risk of abuse would seem much too large.

Evo
Mentor
Russ, are you sure that what you're doing for your boss is a legal arrangement? Couldn't your boss claim forgery if what you said led to something he didn't like? You must have a document signed by him saying that you can speak for him--would that hold up in court?

It seems odd to me that he or anyone would have such total trust in anyone. I certainly would never give anyone free license to represent my opinions. The risk of abuse would seem much too large.
It's a very common and accepted practice.

The point I was trying to make is that some politicians (Bush) are ideologically driven
I'm sorry, but I'm not following you since you also say that:

Well, again, Bush is in-line with the party elite (which is how he got where he is), and I think this guy is following that line.
Are you saying Bush is ideologically driven, or are you saying that he is just following the party's elite? A presidential candidate cannot be both can he, as you said also that "[w]ell, again, I think the key here is that the average conservative votor is not in lock-step with the party elite."

If so, then aren't you accusing Brownback of the same thing that Bush is doing, yet you say that Bush is ideologically driven?

With regards to the issue of his conversion to Catholicism, I don't know why he really changed religion. If I had to guess, I'd say it is because he believes in the same social issues that the (quite conservative) Catholic church believes in, eg. abortion, same-sex marriage. If that is the case then I'd say he'd quite ideologically driven. Besides, I would think histroy has shown that it is much harder for a Catholic to become the president, so I cannot see this as a political move.

0rthodontist
Science Advisor
It's a very common and accepted practice.
So what happens if the boss decides he doesn't want to take the rap for something his employee wrote, and calls it a forgery (which it sort of seems like)? Or if there's a legal mechanism in place to prevent that, what happens when the employee decides he doesn't like his boss very much and deliberately says something unwise under his boss' name?

turbo
Gold Member
So what happens if the boss decides he doesn't want to take the rap for something his employee wrote, and calls it a forgery (which it sort of seems like)? Or if there's a legal mechanism in place to prevent that, what happens when the employee decides he doesn't like his boss very much and deliberately says something unwise under his boss' name?
I had the reverse situation. I had a business-owner boss that used to send out letters over my signature. The problem was that the jerk was a blowhard, and had no concept of proper usage in English. He would use the word "subsequently" 20 times a day, when he needed the word "consequently" or "therefore". If you or I could express a thought in a few well-chosen words, he would drag it out to multiple paragraphs (with lots of indented index letters and numbers) with sesquipedilian words and even made-up words. He sent out letters over my signature that made me look like a moron. Before I took over the firearms/militaria division (and more than doubled the profitability of the company) I didn't have a problem, but after achieving success in that regard, he jumped in and tried to "personalize" my customer contacts, much to the consternation of customers with whom I had already established trusted relationships. When you are dealing with a collector who had spent the last 50 years accumulating a world-class collection of militaria and who likes you, the very last thing you need is for your boss to jump in with both feet and screw the deal.