Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

News Senator Ted Kennedy dead at 77

1. Aug 26, 2009 #1

Pengwuino

Gold Member

http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/08/26/obit.ted.kennedy/

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 26, 2009 #2

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Wow! Too bad, but it seemed imminent at this point.

I don't know about his early years, but it is my understanding that he has been a dedicated and honorable public servant for decades. While I used to think poorly of him, over the years he has gained my respect as a champion of the people - the average person.

Tsu [my other half] once rode in a car with him when she was a child.

4. Aug 26, 2009 #3
    At least he lived long enough to see a president come to power who can finally finish what he worked so hard to start. He was truly a liberal icon and a good man. President Kennedy started a new era working for civil rights, and if this is an end of an era, it should be ended properly by finishing his personal mission.

Just wish he could've lived another year. :frown:

5. Aug 26, 2009 #4
    I have to say that, although he was working against me, he was definitely working hard at it, and so at least had the respect of those of us that disagreed with him on most issues. May he rest in peace.

6. Aug 26, 2009 #5

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Kind of a Moses thing. :biggrin:

7. Aug 26, 2009 #6
    Moses?

In spite of family, wealth, and privilege, it always seemed he had an extra burden to carry. I don't think it was easy. I admire his dedication and resolve.

8. Aug 26, 2009 #7

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Just to clarify the reference: After his epic journey, Moses wasn't allowed to enter the promised land because he had cursed God, IIRC. It was his sin as a young man that denied him entry. Kennedy was famous for his sin as a young man, and he died just short of his life's work - he was denied entry to his promised land of health care reform. The Kennedy's are also known for their strong religious beliefs. JFK was the first Catholic elected to the office of President. It was a big deal back then.

Just a joke.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2009
  9. Aug 26, 2009 #8
    While I do respect Kennedy's many efforts in the battle for civil rights, but consider calling him a champion of the people over the top, as like most any politician he voted in favor of special interests on countless occasions. Also, I've long been particularly disappointed by the utter lack of regard for the rights of Palestinians he demonstrated throughout his career, though as a US senator he was hardly unique in that regard either.

10. Aug 27, 2009 #9

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The term "special interests" is too broad to have any meaning. Are you talking about the NAACP, or the ACLU, for example? Do you mean unions? Do you mean programs designed to end poverty? What you saw as "special interests" may have been in other people's primary interest.

The term "special interest groups" has assumed a somewhat negative connotation. These groups often represent the disadvantaged, or groups fightings for particular rights. In many ways, the little guy - the average person - is represented by special interest groups.

I don't know about that one; may be true. But he was a US Senator, and he fought for the rights and well-being of US citizens, which was his primary job.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2009
  11. Aug 27, 2009 #10
    I was using it as a euphemism for the corporations and such which flooded his campaigns with money, http://www.opensecrets.org/politicians/summary.php?type=C&cid=N00000308&newMem=N&cycle=2008".
    I certainly don't see how anyone could reasonably argue otherwise.
    As I said, I do respect Kennedy's many efforts in the battle for civil rights, I simply doubt he was motivated by altruism to the extent your comments suggest.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  12. Aug 27, 2009 #11

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That says nothing about his voting record. That is a list of donors. Many of those probably donated to many other campaigns.

I don't. In fact I find your comment absurd; as would many Americans including some of his most dedicated opponents over the decades.

13. Aug 27, 2009 #12
    Right, because I was responding to your question about my use of the phrase "special interests". As for examples from his legislative record, http://www.slate.com/id/2222743".
    There is no "probably" about it. I am curious as to how you figured it would need mentioning though, as I had previously mentioned that I'm not suggesting Kennedy was unique in his ways.

14. Aug 28, 2009 #13

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

An email from my buddy, Barack. :biggrin:

15. Aug 28, 2009 #14

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

You're 3/4 of the way there, but you didn't get quite all the way there. Yes, someone's "special interest" might be someone else's "primary interest". So connect those two ideas and what do you get? You get a politician who puts a high fraction of their effort into the interests of a small and vocal (and typically wealthy) minority instead of the majority.

That's what people are talking about when they say "special interest group".

16. Aug 28, 2009 #15
    While I disagreed with his politics on virtually every level possible and spent a lot of time angry with him and people like him, you've got to respect resolve and a dedication to what matters to you. The man was a politician and politicians will be politicians. It really doesn't matter what side you're on... the system is pretty ugly (it has been since 1776) and you've gotta work within the system to get anything done. Americans opposed to money and using it to get things done? Come on now.

Yes, the elevation of the deceased to sainthood is irritating; but that's just another part of life in our society. Anyway... rest in peace, Mr. Senator. Thanks for giving a damn.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2009
  17. Aug 28, 2009 #16
    I think ted kennedy was a drunkard and horrible person and became only senator easily because of the recognizable Kennedy name; Ted's political career should have ended when he showed he did not want to take responsibility for the death of Mary Jo Kopechne by leaving the scene of the incident he created; This wasn't a frightened teenager , this was a 35 year old man; Leaving the scene of a car accident with a dead person and pretending nothing happened is akin to dumping the body of a dead person in a river;

Last edited: Aug 28, 2009
  18. Aug 28, 2009 #17

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Kennedy and Northern Ireland

Ted Kennedy was unpopular in Britain for a long time, because of his apparent condoning of terrorism in Northern Ireland.

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ted_Kennedy#1970s
    And from English historian Andrew Roberts, writing recently in The Daily Mail newspaper (http://www.thefirstpost.co.uk/peopl...hood-for-browns-old-friend-ted-kennedy,76181") …

19. Aug 28, 2009 #18

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't think anyone is trying to elevate him to sainthood. But his dedication and significance to the US political process is undeniable. He was the definitive liberal, so he and I were often at odds.

Frankly, I could care less about his foreign policy. He is best known and will be remembered for his stand on domestic issues. That I and others would disagree with his foreign policies is a given. It is also important to remember that he was from the old school. Some of his views would surely seem archaic today.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2009
  20. Aug 29, 2009 #19
    I gathered, but Kennedy's foreign policy undermines the claim of altruism regardless.

21. Aug 30, 2009 #20
    Doesn't affect my day at all. Kennedy was a cheat, drunk, murderer and traitor. No sympathy.

Ted Kennedy's Soviet Gambit
    Peter Robinson, 08.28.09, 12:01 AM EDT

Considering the late senator's complete record requires digging into the USSR's archives.
    http://www.forbes.com/2009/08/27/te...eagan-opinions-columnists-peter-robinson.html

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5gLAW7VvN3sx49r9xb6Scwx6JDstgD9AAK8O80 [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook