Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Send Your Name to Pluto!

1. Feb 27, 2005 #1
    Ever had a burning desire to send your name to Pluto? Well now you can, thanks to the latest PR idea at NASA- http://pluto.jhuapl.edu/ecard/sendName_ecard_content.html
    The idea is similar to the one where you could send your name on the Martian Rovers/ on Deep Impact if anyone participated in those.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 27, 2005 #2
    Neat idea, a little egotistical perhaps, but neat idea.

Isn't it rather ironic that one can seal their name for practically an eternity while sitting at a computer, no matter what they did in life? All those years trying to accomplish something to make a name of yourself and it is eclipsed by <5 minutes of effort at that site. :tongue2:

4. Feb 27, 2005 #3

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award

Kind of like putting that plaque on pioneer. Not like anybody is likely to actually find the thing, but it will be around for a very long time. Think of it as a cheap bid for immortality. Perhaps it will crash into mars after the sun goes nova and intelligent life evolves on mars. Primitive sentients may conclude the symbol 'Jorge Matus' is the name of an ancient god and worship you for centuries.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2005
  5. Feb 28, 2005 #4
    Its really fun for kids...and may spark some intrest in space science.
    OK, ok I confess, it was fun for me too! :blushing:

6. Mar 1, 2005 #5

Phobos

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I put my name on the Deep Impact CD, which may be anti-egotistical/self-abasing since that CD will be utterly destroyed a few months from now when it smacks into the comet. :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?