Can I choose which Physics GRE scores to send to grad schools?

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of sending Physics GRE scores to graduate schools and the options available for selecting which scores to send. The individual recalls being able to send scores to four schools for free and then choosing which scores to send to any additional schools. They also mention reading about a policy where most Physics grad schools typically want scores from all attempts at the test, not just the most recent one. However, further research shows that this may not be the case for all schools. The individual is relieved to know that they have another chance to take the test without losing much money. They also provide a link to a website discussing the ethics of the score select option.
Phys12
Hello!

When I apply to grad schools and sent my Physics GRE scores, will I be able to send only my score from the October test and not the September one? Or is it the case that most Physics grad schools require you to send all of your scores; that is, send the score for all the tests you took?

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You get to send your scores to four schools for free (you choose these when you register, and they are automatically sent). When you send your scores to any other school, you can choose which score to send.

edit: maybe I'm recalling wrong. It's possible that when you send your scores to the other schools, you can only choose whether to send all of them, or just the one most recently taken.

Dishsoap said:
It's possible that when you send your scores to the other schools, you can only choose whether to send all of them, or just the one most recently taken.
Right, that sounds correct, but I think I read somewhere (like in a stackexchange website or something) that Physics grad schools typically want scores of all the times you took the test, not just the most recent one.
A quick look through the FAQs of 4 schools (Texas A&M, Ohio State, MIT, JHU) suggests that such is not the case for most grad schools (at least most of the ones I'm interested in). Well it's good to know that if I bomb this upcoming test, I still have another chance without losing much (other than $150 in registration fee).

Thanks for your response!

1. How do I send my Physics GRE scores?

To send your Physics GRE scores, you will need to log into your ETS account and select the option to send your scores. You can choose to send your scores to up to four institutions for free. If you need to send your scores to more than four institutions, there will be an additional fee.

2. When should I send my Physics GRE scores?

You should send your Physics GRE scores at least a month before the application deadline of the institution you are applying to. This will ensure that your scores arrive on time and are considered in your application.

3. How long does it take for institutions to receive my Physics GRE scores?

It typically takes 10-15 business days for institutions to receive your Physics GRE scores after you have sent them. However, during peak times, such as application deadlines, it may take longer for your scores to be processed and sent.

4. Can I choose which Physics GRE scores to send to institutions?

Yes, you can choose which Physics GRE scores to send to institutions. When you select the option to send your scores, you will be able to choose which scores you want to send, whether it be your most recent scores or all of your scores.

5. Do institutions prefer to receive Physics GRE scores electronically or by mail?

It is recommended to send your Physics GRE scores electronically, as it is a faster and more secure method. However, some institutions may still accept scores sent by mail. It is best to check with the institution directly to see their preferred method of receiving scores.