Top Senior Capstone Project Ideas for Aerospace Engineering Students

In summary, the speaker, a ME undergraduate student, is looking for suggestions and ideas for a year-long design project related to aerospace engineering. They mention their interest in AE and their initial idea of designing and building a liquid fuel rocket, but express concerns about safety and lack of specific tests. They ask for suggestions and are directed to aiaa.org, where they can find detailed design competitions to participate in.
NBAJam100
Hey everyone,

Im thinking a bit ahead here, but I figure its a good idea to get started early. I am currently a ME undergrad soon to be junior with an interest in AE. Senior year we have to do a year long design project and I was thinking about doing something involving AE... the only problem is I am having quite a bit of trouble thinking of ideas.

Would you guys care to lend some suggestions or possible topics to research that I could maybe pull a potential project out of?

Im really stumped here as to what I could do that would fit the time line of a year. My original thought was to design and build a small liquid fuel rocket but I've heard that is very dangerous/risky if you arent exactly sure what you are doing. Plus I am also not sure how I could base a year long project off of that if I didnt have any specific tests thought up to run.

I guess my main problem here is that I am not too well versed in aerospace engineering topics, but I am trying to learn. So any suggestions guys?

Physics news on Phys.org
go to aiaa.org and look at their student design competitions. these would serve as a great senior project. I did the air-breathing engine design competition my senior year. It was a paper design, but some of their competitions actually require building something. You should do one of these during your junior year for practice. Some of these are individual and some are team based. they have RFP's that are pretty detailed and lay out exactly what is required by the design.

Awesome! Thanks rbeale, there's lots of great stuff there!

1. What is a Senior Capstone Project?

A Senior Capstone Project is a culminating project completed by undergraduate students in their final year of study. It is a comprehensive and multifaceted project that integrates knowledge and skills gained throughout the course of their degree program.

2. How is a Senior Capstone Project different from other projects or assignments?

A Senior Capstone Project is unique in that it requires students to apply their knowledge and skills to a real-world problem or issue. It often involves conducting original research, collaborating with others, and presenting a final product or solution.

3. What are the benefits of completing a Senior Capstone Project?

Completing a Senior Capstone Project allows students to demonstrate their mastery of their field of study and showcase their skills to potential employers or graduate programs. It also provides an opportunity for students to work closely with faculty mentors and gain practical experience in their chosen field.

4. How is a topic or project for a Senior Capstone Project chosen?

The topic or project for a Senior Capstone Project is typically chosen by the student in consultation with their faculty mentor. It should align with the student's interests and strengths, and also address a relevant and meaningful issue in their field of study.

5. How long does a Senior Capstone Project typically take to complete?

The duration of a Senior Capstone Project can vary, but it typically takes one academic year to complete. However, some programs may require multiple semesters or quarters to finish the project. It is important for students to plan accordingly and set realistic timelines for their project.