1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Other Senior Project (HS)

1. Sep 19, 2016 #1
    Ok I can't tell if this should go in academic guidance or homework questions so I'll just put it here. I decided to do my high school senior project writing a paper on a recent discovery in physics. I narrowed my topic choices down to either photonic particles, exotic hadrons, or the Higgs. I want the paper to be around 20 pages but the problem is that I'm not sure how much mathematics I should include when discussing the detection or the application of these topics. Should I just include some main equations and briefly describe what they do or should I really dive into the details. I only have 8 - 12 minutes to actually present my topic so I'm at a loss here on exactly what my paper should mainly consist of. I don't want it to be too pop sci/pseudo science sounding but I also want to avoid making it look like it came out of a text book. Also I doubt I have the mental fortitude for a paper completely about the mathematics. any recommendations on topic or paper structure would be greatly appreciated thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 19, 2016 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

With only 8 to 12 minutes, you don't really have enough time to dive into details of the equations. Also, as this is a high school class, the details might be well beyond the level of comprehension of the people in your audience.

4. Sep 19, 2016 #3
    The presentation is to a group of judges not students. And to be honest I don't care how complicated it is because I'm mainly doing this for college stuff not high school grade

5. Sep 19, 2016 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Are the judges knowledgeable in the field your topic is in? If they are, can you fit a detailed explanation of the equations into ~10 minutes? This shouldn't be at the expense of a higher-level description. Also, trying to present 20 pages of material in ~10 minutes would be difficult, I would think.

6. Sep 19, 2016 #5
    I honestly don't care that much about the judging and all of that. I expect on getting an A no matter what way I approach the paper. The reality of it is that I want it to look like I know something for colleges. But now I just realized they probably won't end up reading it so its probably best to avoid the complex math for the judges sake. I guess Ill check with my teacher to see if they are going to be educated on the topic.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted