Senior Quantum Mechanics Research Project

In summary, quantum mechanics will change the world in the future by improving technologies such as biological compasses, ultra-precise clocks, and uncrackable codes. Teleportation and quantum computing will be two of the most important examples.
Adam Kohnle
I am going to be doing a high school senior research project on how Quantum Physics will change the world in the future. Basically my current idea is to describe what quantum mechanics is, and then give examples that I explain and I state how they will change the world and the estimated time they will. I want it to be simple and just basic explanations and ideas.

One example I plan on using is quantum computing and how it works in simple terms that anyone can understand and then how it will change the world and my guess as to when. It is hard to guess when but that is just to give them idea that this will happen eventually and to keep them awake because it may occur in their lifetime depending on the example I use. I plan on describing teleportation and quantum computing but I would like more "easy to understand inventions."

Please help because I am having trouble thinking of things I can discuss that are simple concepts since quantum mechanics is not simple.

Physics news on Phys.org
Adam Kohnle said:
One example I plan on using is quantum computing and how it works in simple terms that anyone can understand
I'm looking forward to reading that! :smile:

I did a google search on Applications of Quantum Mechanics, and got lots of good hits. Maybe try that google search to see if it helps to give you some ideas. Post what you find so we can discuss it! :smile:

Likes Adam Kohnle
Thanks for the advice, I am so tired I didn't even think of google! lol, i need some coffee. I found Biological Compasses, Ultra precise Clocks, Improved Microsopes, Uncrackable codes. I would look deeper into but I have to go, please share advice on these topics and any others you think would be good. The more ideas the better. Plus someone else could need advice in the future

An alternative is to look at how QM has already changed the world. No one knows the future so what quantum computing will or won't achieve is speculation, in my humble opinion.

Likes Adam Kohnle
These are some great advice! I'm glad my brother told me to join physics forums! I'm thinking about doing both past and present because you are right predicting the future is speculation but I don't want to put my audience to sleep because they do not care about the present nor the past. They are the stereotypical millennial that thinks life is terrible and they don't want to think about the here and now nor the past which is why I want to do the future but a little bit of the past would actually help broaden my research and would be a good intro after of course the part where I explain what quantum mechanics even is.

Will you be presenting this project to the class, or will it just be a submitted report paper? I have a pretty dramatic demonstration in mind if you will be presenting it to the class...

Likes Adam Kohnle
Berkeman, i have to do both. Whats your dramatic demonstration idea?

Adam Kohnle said:
Berkeman, i have to do both. Whats your dramatic demonstration idea?
Well, if I just tell it to you, I could lose my high-paying job here at the PF. It's against the rules here to give away answers to homework/schoolwork assignments.

Still, maybe I can guide you there with some questions...

• How does tunneling work?
  • Is tunneling a QM effect? Why?
  • What are some typical non-volatile memory technologies used in modern electronics today?
  • What every-day devices would people have on them that might use non-volatile memory as an integral part of their usefulness?
Gotta go... :smile:

Likes Adam Kohnle
Adam Kohnle said:
... they do not care about the present nor the past.

"Who controls the past controls the future. Who controls the present controls the past." George Orwell

Likes Adam Kohnle
PeroK That is one of my favorite quotes! I have told them it before and they agree and yet they always get bored and say the past and present doesn't matter when I talk about it

Likes PeroK
IBM's quantum computing website has quite a lot of information about possible applications.

Note that the quantum computing area is growing insanely fast at the moment; there is (literally) new information and new results being released every week making it hard to keep up to date. Even roadmaps etc that were published a few months ago are out of date.
Moreover, now that you have a bunch of large companies getting involved quite a lot of the information is coming out as press releases (and rumors) rather than academic papers (in fact; some results/innovations will probably NOT be published or even patented at all since they rather sit on the IP).

At the moment everyone is waiting for the first results from IBM's 50 qubit machine; I would also expect some new information from Google (49 qubits) and Intel/Qutech (7x7=49 qubit surface code) in the very near future.

Likes Adam Kohnle
Thanks for all of the help everyone! I think I have enough topics to research. Does anyone know of practical cheap devices I could present? I do not need to build something but I want to to ensure I get a 100%. I am thinking of building either a model atomic clock or a model LIGO or a model fabric of the universe. Here are links to my current ideas. Any advice on that or other ideas I could build for cheap? Preferably less then $50 but that is very VERY difficult to do so anything below $200 is on the table metaphorically.
Atomic Clock: http://www.diyphysics.com/2012/02/1...y-standard-using-surplus-rubidium-oscillator/
Gravitational Wave Model: https://gizmodo.com/how-to-make-your-own-gravitational-waves-1785524107
Model LIGO: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1aVFB_5pSccNWCGwAeTJxCPVgNYKgSqCn
I doubt the LIGO link will work but it is the model that Stephen Colbert used on Saturday Night Live. I am having trouble getting the link because everything is blocked at school which is where I currently am.

1. What is a Senior Quantum Mechanics Research Project?

A Senior Quantum Mechanics Research Project is a scientific study or investigation that focuses on the principles and theories of quantum mechanics. It involves conducting experiments, analyzing data, and drawing conclusions about the behavior of particles at the quantum level.

2. What are the benefits of conducting a Senior Quantum Mechanics Research Project?

Conducting a Senior Quantum Mechanics Research Project can lead to a better understanding of the fundamental laws that govern the behavior of particles at the quantum level. It can also lead to advancements in technology, such as quantum computing and cryptography, which have the potential to revolutionize various industries.

3. How is a Senior Quantum Mechanics Research Project different from other research projects?

A Senior Quantum Mechanics Research Project is different from other research projects because it focuses specifically on the principles and theories of quantum mechanics. It also requires a deep understanding of advanced mathematical concepts and the ability to conduct experiments at the quantum level, which can be challenging and complex.

4. What are some examples of topics that can be studied in a Senior Quantum Mechanics Research Project?

Some examples of topics that can be studied in a Senior Quantum Mechanics Research Project include quantum entanglement, quantum teleportation, quantum tunneling, and quantum algorithms. Other topics may involve exploring the behavior of particles in different physical systems, such as atoms, molecules, and solid-state materials.

5. How long does a Senior Quantum Mechanics Research Project typically take to complete?

The duration of a Senior Quantum Mechanics Research Project can vary depending on the specific topic, resources available, and the pace of the researcher. However, it typically takes several months to a year or more to complete, as it involves extensive research, experimentation, and analysis of data.