How Should I Structure My Senior Year Solid State Physics Term Paper?

In summary, the conversation discusses the confusion and uncertainty surrounding writing a term paper for a senior class on solid state physics. The individual is unsure about the format and structure of the paper, particularly in regards to the abstract and conclusion sections. They also mention being unfamiliar with the concept of researching and constructing a paper based on resources. Suggestions are given to talk to the professor or read review papers to gain a better understanding of the format. The difference between review papers and journal articles is also clarified. The conversation concludes with the individual expressing their tight timeline and missed opportunity to seek clarification from their instructor.
Arij
Hello every one,

End of terms papers always are weird and non natural for me. This is a senior class about solid state physics and we are asked to write a 5-10 pgs term paper on a certain topic.

My question is how do you go about formatting this kind of paper?
Abstract(??) -> introduction(little history/background) -> body(bunch of scientific facts and concepts) -> conclusion (??)

it's not like I did an experiment to write a conclusion about, and hence i get confused on what's the difference between an abstract and a conclusion and if i should be writing both in the first place!
btw, I didn't go to US schools and I was only introduced to writing papers in college and I only did it for couple of english classes and couple of physics classes, the idea of researching resources and constructing a paper based on them (like recycling informations? ) is very confusing to me.

Physics news on Phys.org
To me it sounds like you need a little more information from your instructor. Paper formats will vary from school to school and professor to professor. If it's not blatantly clear from the assignment itself, you could go and talk to your professor about it during office hours, or send her or him an email to ask about specifics.

Failing that, you could read a few review papers on your topic of choice (which you'll probably have to do anyway) and follow the format used.

Choppy said:
To me it sounds like you need a little more information from your instructor. Paper formats will vary from school to school and professor to professor. If it's not blatantly clear from the assignment itself, you could go and talk to your professor about it during office hours, or send her or him an email to ask about specifics.

Failing that, you could read a few review papers on your topic of choice (which you'll probably have to do anyway) and follow the format used.

unfortunately I am very tight on time and I kind of missed my chance to ask.

are "review papers" the same as journal article? or is it more of a scientific paper/ thesis with an experiment or a data analysis (new question to answer) kind of paper?

A review paper is something that comes out in an academic journal that summarizes the recent progress in a field, underscores problems and may even attempt to discuss future avenues for research. They tend not to be as formal in their structure as a scientific paper, because scientific papers tend to focus on one particular problem (or set of particular problems). Usually they're a good place to start for senior undergraduate students interested in learning about a field or new graduates students because they can take a little more space up to explain the more common aspects of the field.

1. What is the recommended format for a senior year end of term paper?

The recommended format for a senior year end of term paper is typically Times New Roman or Arial font, size 12, with double spacing and 1-inch margins on all sides.

2. How many pages should a senior year end of term paper be?

The length of a senior year end of term paper varies depending on the assignment guidelines and the subject matter. However, a typical length is between 10-15 pages.

3. Do I need to include a cover page for my senior year end of term paper?

Yes, a cover page is necessary for a senior year end of term paper. It should include the title of your paper, your name, course name and number, and the date.

4. Are there any specific formatting requirements for in-text citations and references?

It is important to use proper citation style, such as MLA or APA, and to format in-text citations and references according to the chosen style. Make sure to include all necessary information for each source and to follow the correct formatting guidelines.

5. Should I include an abstract in my senior year end of term paper?

An abstract is not always required for a senior year end of term paper, but it can be helpful in summarizing your paper and providing an overview of your main points. Check with your instructor to see if an abstract is necessary for your assignment.

Back