Did the University of Utrecht uncover evidence that people can sense the future?

• Thread starter PIT2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Future
In summary, the article discusses the research done by Dr. John Hartwell and Prof. Bierman on the possibility of people sensing the future. The experiments involved showing people provocative cartoon drawings while measuring their brainwave patterns and skin resistance to electricity. Surprisingly, the results showed that people began reacting a few seconds before the images were even shown, suggesting some kind of future prediction ability. However, the results have not yet been published and some skeptics believe that the reactions could be due to expectations or other factors. Further research is needed to confirm these findings.
"I went to Carol when my three-year old son, Joe, started winding me up and saying that the ring had gone away with the dustmen."

Physics news on Phys.org
"I went to Carol when my three-year old son, Joe, started winding me up and saying that the ring had gone away with the dustmen."

No, epiphanies yet, PIT2?

We have a missing ring. A three-year-old boy pesters his mother with the statement that the ring "had gone away with the dustmen."

Three-year-old kids are not very articulate. Sometimes they make up names for things. Sometimes they anthropomorphize things.

There are other important things to remember about three-year-old kids, things the psychic probably had firmly in mind when giving her suggestion.

zoobyshoe said:

No, epiphanies yet, PIT2?

We have a missing ring. A three-year-old boy pesters his mother with the statement that the ring "had gone away with the dustmen."

Three-year-old kids are not very articulate. Sometimes they make up names for things. Sometimes they anthropomorphize things.

There are other important things to remember about three-year-old kids, things the psychic probably had firmly in mind when giving her suggestion.

Well I am not English or American, so i assumed 'dustmen' was just the people that pick up the garbage outside of the house. So perhaps that's why i missed the connection.

Also, i still think this bit is a bigger clue:

Mrs Panchurz said: " I had just got the nursery freshly decorated for the new baby. The carpet had been freshly laid down and all the furniture was in, but we decided to rip the carpet up and lever a floorboard and there it was.

A psychic discovering that the room had recently been renovated, would probably suspect the ring was lost somewhere during the renovation. Hell, even i would suspect this, and I am no psychic. "A new carpet? Ring could be underneath it!"

PIT2 said:
A psychic discovering that the room had recently been renovated, would probably suspect the ring was lost somewhere during the renovation.
The timetable is pretty clearly laid out in the article. The ring had been missing 7 months. The room had only just ben renovated. It is clear the renovation was not the occasion of the loss of the ring.

Aren't you curious as to how the ring got under the floorboard? And how did it get under there a full 7 months before the renovation? Makes you wonder why the renovation happened in the first place, doesn't it? How could a ring get under a floorboard? What is an obvious good reason to renovate a floor?

zoobyshoe said:
Aren't you curious as to how the ring got under the floorboard? And how did it get under there a full 7 months before the renovation? Makes you wonder why the renovation happened in the first place, doesn't it? How could a ring get under a floorboard? What is an obvious good reason to renovate a floor?

Perhaps there was a crack in the floor and this is why they renovated it?

This is a good reason why the psychic would suspect the ring was in the renovated room, moved out of sight completely under the freshly laid carpet, like i said.

Just imagine the thoughts of the psychic:

"Hey... this room is renovated, i wonder why? Why is there a new carpet? Is there something wrong with the floor? Wait, ill just ask her: were there cracks in the floor?"

PIT2 said:
Perhaps there was a crack in the floor and this is why they renovated it?
Yes! A crack in the floor is the most obvious explanation for how the ring got under the floorboards. The location of the ring, though, is only something everyone is sure about now that it's been found.
This is a good reason why the psychic would suspect the ring was in the renovated room, moved out of sight completely under the freshly laid carpet, like i said.
Er...atually what you said was:
PIT2 said:
A psychic discovering that the room had recently been renovated, would probably suspect the ring was lost somewhere during the renovation.
and I had to point out the ring was lost months before the renovation.
"Hey... this room is renovated, i wonder why? Why is there a new carpet? Is there something wrong with the floor? Wait, ill just ask her: were there cracks in the floor?"
Yes, but she'd do it much more subtly. She won't look psychic if she comes out and says "Did you look into the cracks?

By the way, do you now realize who had looked into the cracks, and seen the ring? The person whose misunderstood testimony gave her the confidence to suggest tearing up a newly laid carpet?

zoobyshoe said:
Er...atually what you said was:

With which i meant, when the carpet went over the floor, (and perhaps the floorboard were even exchanged for ones that didnt have cracks in them), the ring was lost from sight completely. Or that perhaps the ring was even laying on the ground, and only got underneath the floorboards, when they were being renovated or when they were fiddling around with the carpet.

Who knows what happened during this renovation, they might have dropped a TV unto the floor, cracking it completely open and making the ring (laying on the back of the TV) slip into the crack :wink:

and I had to point out the ring was lost months before the renovation.

The date of the renovation is not mentioned :smile:

By the way, do you now realize who had looked into the cracks, and seen the ring? The person whose misunderstood testimony gave her the confidence to suggest tearing up a newly laid carpet?

I guess ur talking about the kid. However, the kids vague testimoney alone would not be sufficient to determine the room the ring would be in.

Also, if the sole role of the kid was to give confidence to the psychic (which confirmed her suspicions based on the renovation-data she received without the use of the kid), then the renovation-data clearly plays a larger role.

In fact, the kids testimony could well be redundant, the renovation-data could not:

-Dust is all around the house (and even outside). Dustmen could be anywhere.
-The renovation was only in the room where the ring was.

Last edited: