Using a Rotary Potentiometer and Float

In summary, the conversation discusses using a rotary potentiometer and an attached float to measure the amount of liquid in a tank for a physics coursework. The speaker plans to calibrate potential difference readings to determine the water level in the tank. They are seeking feedback and improvements for their experiment, and also express concerns about understanding the theory behind using a potential divider. The conversation concludes with reassurance that the method is sound and offers alternative methods using a constant current or voltage source.
† please_help_me †
First off i'd like to say hi guys (and gals) - this may be my first post, but should hopefully be the first of many:smile:

Basically i have a problem regarding some physics coursework. We're actually conducting these on the 8th of November - and i have a deadline of the 20th of November. I've decided to use a rotary potentiometer, with the aid of an attached float to measure the amount of liquid in a tank. I'll basically create your basic circuit, with an ammeter attached (multimeter to be precise) and then attach a voltmeter (multimeter..) in parralel with the rotary potentiometer. This is probably hard to visualise, but the pictures i have just spent the last 20 minutes making are to big to be uploaded :mad:

Basically, I am planning on callibrating my several potential difference readings, for the level of the water in the tank. the float will (quite obviously) float on the top of the surface of the water. So when the level is decreased, this should move the float, which should in effect turn the rotary potentiometer, which should in effect alter resistance, which should in effect alter the ptential diifferences i record. So i should be able to create a table of values (i.e. when the potential difference is X then the water level in the tank will be Y)

Know your probably wondering why I've spent all this time typing this, but I am (unbelieveably) anxious that there are some flaws in what i am doing. If you spot any, that's one reason to reply :redface: If there are any ways which i could improve this experiment, that's a second reason to reply :redface:

The main problem i have however is the theory behind it. I don't understand/know how to explain the way i have used a potential divider (is the rotary potentiometer a form of a potential divider?).

Physics news on Phys.org
A rotary potentiometer is a variable resistor. The method you are attempting has been used quite a lot. It's a sound concept. It has some drawbacks, but they are not going to effect you in your case. If you used a simple DC circuit, you can use a power supply to provide a constant current source signal to the system. As the resistance changes so will the voltage across the resistor (i.e. the level in the tank). Or you could use a constant voltage source and measure the current changes. Either way, it should work out fine.

1. How does a rotary potentiometer and float work?

A rotary potentiometer and float are electrical components that work together to measure the level of a liquid in a tank. The float is a buoyant object that rises and falls with the liquid level, while the potentiometer is a variable resistor that changes its resistance based on the position of the float. As the float moves, the potentiometer's resistance changes, allowing for the measurement of the liquid level.

2. What are the advantages of using a rotary potentiometer and float?

One advantage of using a rotary potentiometer and float is their simplicity. They are relatively easy to install and require minimal maintenance. Another advantage is their versatility, as they can be used to measure a wide range of liquid levels. Additionally, they are cost-effective compared to other level sensing technologies.

3. Can a rotary potentiometer and float be used for both liquid and solid level measurement?

Yes, a rotary potentiometer and float can be used for both liquid and solid level measurement. For liquid level measurement, the float is buoyant and will rise and fall with the liquid level. For solid level measurement, the float can be attached to a solid object and will move as the object's level changes.

4. How accurate are rotary potentiometer and float level sensors?

The accuracy of a rotary potentiometer and float level sensor can vary depending on the specific components used and the application. However, they are generally considered to have a moderate level of accuracy, with errors typically ranging from 1-5% of the actual liquid level.

5. What are some common applications for rotary potentiometer and float level sensors?

Rotary potentiometer and float level sensors are commonly used in industrial and commercial settings for liquid level measurement in tanks, reservoirs, and other containers. They can also be used in home appliances, such as washing machines and dishwashers, to measure water levels. Other applications include fuel level measurement in vehicles and aircraft and level control in water treatment systems.