1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sensor question

Tags:
  1. Nov 2, 2015 #1
    I need to indentify this type of sensor.

Need to work in dark.
    Need to scan only in x axis. ( not to have angle in y axis only in x ) Something like a plate.
    And needs to react when movement is changed in that plate.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2015 #2
  4. Nov 3, 2015 #3
    @Tolklein
    Hmm.. that may be it.

5. Nov 4, 2015 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Can you post a sketch of what you want this sensor/scanner to do? And when you say "plate", do you maybe mean "plane"? :smile:

6. Nov 4, 2015 #5
    @berkeman
    Yea plane :) My bad.

Well for example: if i put sensor 2m on my wall it need to detect movements on that height not lower. I am 2.1m and it detects me. My cat is .2m and it doesnt detect her.
    Also need to have range: 3-5m minimum.

7. Nov 4, 2015 #6

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Can you use a Passive InfraRed (PIR) sensor that only sees from 2m up?

8. Nov 4, 2015 #7
    Interesting. Will search it.

9. Nov 4, 2015 #8

wirenut

Gold Member

You can use a motion detector from a security system, and block off parts of the window with tape on the inside. Trial and error, but relatively cheap. Most have no/nc contacts for triggering another device.

10. Nov 15, 2015 #9

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can buy IR beam systems. They comprise an IR transmitter and receiver. Alarm triggered when the beam between the two is broken.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook