Separability of variables

In summary, the conversation discusses the separability of the wave function in a hydrogen atom, which is written as R(r)Θ(θ)Φ(φ). The concept of separability refers to the form of the partial differential equation being solved. The conversation also touches on the use of separation of variables and its relevance in physics. It is mentioned that this method may not always work and can lead to different solutions.
Titan97
Gold Member
In a hydrogen atom, the wave function is written as R(r).Θ(θ).Φ(φ). But how is it separable when the electron is interacting with the nucleus?

Physics news on Phys.org
Titan97 said:
In a hydrogen atom, the wave function is written as R(r).Θ(θ).Φ(φ). But how is it separable when the electron is interacting with the nucleus?
The "separability" refers to the form of the partial differential equation (Schrodinger's equation for the ##1/r## potential) we're trying to solve. You can show by substitution that a function of the form ##\psi=R(r)Y(\theta,\phi)## will be a solution. When you make this substitution two separate and simpler differential equations, one for ##R(r)## and the other for ##Y(\theta,\phi)##, will emerge.

Likes bhobba
The interaction only depends on r.

@Nugatory I am asking how can one be sure that a function f(x,y,z)=f(x)f(y)f(z)?

For example, why isn't F(z,y,z)=f(x)+g(y)+h(z) and only f(x)g(y)h(z)?

Titan97 said:
@Nugatory I am asking how can one be sure that a function f(x,y,z)=f(x)f(y)f(z)?

There are theorems from the theory of partial differential equations that many solutions have that form - the method is called separation of variables and often works:
http://math.stackexchange.com/questions/575205/why-separation-of-variables-works-in-pdes

Generally in physics we don't worry about theorems like that, but if you did a degree in math as well you might - or might not depending on the inclination of your lecturer. I did a subject partial differential equations as part of my degree many many moons ago:
http://pdf.courses.qut.edu.au/coursepdf/qut_MS01_31556_dom_cms_unit.pdf

It was a bit different in those days - now its combined with complex analysis - back then it was two separate subjects. The teacher sounded out at the beginning of class if we would like to see some of the proofs of some of this stuff. I like that sort of thing and said yes - but most couldn't care less so it wasn't covered.

If you are interested there are books that do it eg:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/052129746X/?tag=pfamazon01-20

But they use advanced methods of functional analysis (such as distribution theory that makes sense of that damnable Dirac Delta function - you should study it anyway - but that is a whole new thread) which fortuneately I did study - but it's not for the beginning student.

I remember looking it up, but have to say it was basically simply for curiosity - it played no role in any future studies I did at all. Still if you are interested after learning how to use it you can spend a bit of time on the theory - it won't play a role in your future physics but those of a particular mind set like me don't like loose ends.

Thanks
Bill

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes dextercioby
Titan97 said:

You can't be sure. It's an educated guess. If you find a solution of the form ##f(x)g(y)h(z)##, then all well and good. Otherwise, you'll have to try something else.

You could look for a solution of the form ##f(x) + g(y) + h(z)## but you may not be successful very often.

Titan97 said:
I am asking how can one be sure that a function f(x,y,z)=f(x)f(y)f(z)?

You can't. In general, it's not. If you mean Cartesian x,y, z, it's not true for the hydrogen atom (but is true for the harmonic oscillator). If you mean r, theta, phi, it is true provided the interaction term only depends on r.

Likes Titan97
Titan97 said:

The separation of spherical variables occurs after the separation of the general 2 body-motion into the CoM motion (i.e. the motion of a „virtual” particle of mass = m_p + m_el) and the motion of a „virtual” massive (with mass = reduced mass = (m_p x m_el)/(m_p + m_el)) particle relative to the CoM and this separation of spherical variable applies only the to the wave function of the „virtual” particle of reduced mass.This separation of motion in two „virtual” motions is glossed over in introductory QM texts or at least not properly emphasized. There one usually jumps to separation of variables for the „virtual” particle of reduced mass and the reader is left to wonder: what is the small „r” in the potential function exactly and where does it come from?

Likes Titan97, vanhees71 and bhobba

1. What is the concept of "Separability of variables"?

The concept of "Separability of variables" is a mathematical technique used to solve differential equations. It involves breaking down a complex equation into simpler equations that only involve one variable each, making the equation easier to solve.

2. Why is "Separability of variables" important in science?

"Separability of variables" is important in science because many physical phenomena can be described by differential equations. By using this technique, scientists can solve these equations and gain a better understanding of the underlying mechanisms and behavior of the system being studied.

3. How does "Separability of variables" work?

The process of "Separability of variables" involves isolating each variable on one side of the equation and integrating both sides separately. This results in a solution that satisfies the original equation and can be used to make predictions and analyze the system.

4. What are the limitations of "Separability of variables"?

One limitation of "Separability of variables" is that it can only be applied to certain types of differential equations, specifically those that can be written in a separable form. Additionally, it may not always be possible to find an exact solution using this technique, and numerical methods may be required.

5. Can "Separability of variables" be applied to real-world problems?

Yes, "Separability of variables" can be applied to real-world problems in various fields such as physics, chemistry, and engineering. It is a powerful tool that allows scientists to model and understand complex systems and make predictions about their behavior.