1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Separable DE

1. May 24, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

boat turns off engine when it's attained [itex]v_0[/itex] at [itex]t = 0[/itex]. Starting from that moment the boat is slowed by retarding force [itex]F = Ce^{-kv}[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

[tex]m\dot{v} = -Ce^{-kv}[/tex]

Throwing this in Maple gives me

[tex]v(t) = \frac{1}{k}\ln\left(\frac{-kC(t + C^{'})}{m}\right)[/tex]

This doesn't make sense to me--you can't take the log of a negative number and even if I remove that negative from the initial DE v(t)->inf as t->inf

2. jcsd
  3. May 24, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What makes you think this involves the logarithm of a negative number? Whether -kC(t+ C') is negative or not depends on C'. In particular, you know that when t= 0, v= v0. Putting this into your formula
    [tex]v(0)= v_0= \frac{1}{k}ln\left(\frac{-kC(C')}{m}\right)[/tex]
    which gives
    [tex]\frac{-kC(C')}{m}= e^{kv_0}[/tex]
    or
    [tex]C'= -\frac{m}{C}e^{kv_0}[/tex]
    which is negative. You will be taking the logarithm of a positive number as long as t< -C'. But when t= -C', what happens?

That's the problem with using Maple, or a computer or any such rather than doing it yourself! If you have done the rather simple integral yourself you wouldn't have had that question.

4. May 24, 2008 #3
    EDIT: thinking

Last edited: May 24, 2008
  5. May 24, 2008 #4
    You missed the 'k' when solving for C'

[tex]C' = -\frac{m}{kC}e^{kv_0}[/tex]

6. May 24, 2008 #5
    Think I got it

Last edited: May 24, 2008
  7. May 24, 2008 #6
    Thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?