1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Separable Differential Equation

1. Apr 15, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

dy/dx =[cos^2(x)][cos^2(y)]

2. Relevant equations

The solution to this problem is y = +/- [(2n + 1)*pi]/4

How? Do i just plug C back into the equation? That seems a little messy

3. The attempt at a solution

dy/cos^2(y) = cos^2(x) dx

After integrating: (1/2)tan(2y) = (1/2)(x + cos(x) + sin(x) + C)

C = 2tan(2y) - 2x -sin(2x) for cos(2y) not = 0
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 15, 2008 #2
    You have not supplied enough information to make your solution unique. What point must the curve pass through?
  4. Apr 15, 2008 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi aznkid310! :smile:

No … you're getting your ^2 and your 2 mixed up … it's just tany on the left.

And on the right … you've gone all weird! :rolleyes:

Use cos²x = 1/2(1 + cos(2x)).
  5. Apr 16, 2008 #4
    It just saved solve the differential equation. But the solution included all of that.

As for the integration, i checked w/ an integral calculator and the left side is correct. For the right side, its actually cos^2(2x), my mistake.
  6. Apr 16, 2008 #5

D H

Staff: Mentor

Firstly, its [itex]y=\frac{2n+1}2\pi[/itex]. You don't need the [itex]\pm[/itex] and the denominator is 2, not 4.

Secondly, this is not "the" solution. There are infinitely many solutions you can find via integrating the differential equation. Hint: You will not get these particular solutions by integrating the differential equation. Big hint: what is the derivative of [itex]y=c[/itex] with respect to [itex]x[/itex]?

Thirdly, your integration ran afoul somewhere.
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?