Separable differential equation

In summary, the conversation was about solving a differential equation and finding particular solutions. The person had trouble with their initial conditions and after discussing the solution, they realized that they had performed division by zero and needed to be careful with their calculations.
Luminous Blob
I'm doing some revision on differential equations, and am getting stuck on what should be a simple problem.

The question is:

Solve: dP/dt = 0.2P(1000 - P)

Find particular solutions when (i) P(0) = 1000 and (ii) P(0) = 2000

The answers are supposed to be:

i) P(t) = 1000
ii) P(t) = 1000[1 - (1/2)exp(-200t)]^(-1)

I keep getting the wrong answers. The general solution I came up with (after doing the partial fraction decomposition and integrating) is:

t + C = 1/200[ ln|P| - ln|1000 - P| ]
exp(200t + C) = exp(ln|P| - ln|1000 - P|)
Aexp(200t) = P/(1000 - P) {where A = exp(C)}
P = 1000Aexp(200t) - (P)Aexp(200t)
P[ 1 + Aexp(200t) ] = 1000Aexp(200t)

P = 1000Aexp(200t)/[ 1 + Aexp(200t)]

But I don't get the right answers when I solve for A with the initial condition.

I'd appreciate it if anyone can tell me where I'm going wrong here.

Physics news on Phys.org
i) YOU HAVE PERFORMED DIVISION BY ZERO HERE!
(Right when you started to solve the diff. eq.)

ii) Nothing wrong with your answer here, you'll get A=-2 (right?)

Remember:
[tex]\frac{1000Ae^{200t}}{1+Ae^{200t}}=\frac{1000}{1+\frac{1}{A}e^{-200t}}, A\neq0[/tex]

arildno said:
i) YOU HAVE PERFORMED DIVISION BY ZERO HERE!
(Right when you started to solve the diff. eq.)

ii) Nothing wrong with your answer here, you'll get A=-2 (right?)

Remember:
[tex]\frac{1000Ae^{200t}}{1+Ae^{200t}}=\frac{1000}{1+\frac{1}{A}e^{-200t}}, A\neq0[/tex]

Aaahh...of course. Thanks, that clears things up a bit.

What is a separable differential equation?

A separable differential equation is a type of ordinary differential equation (ODE) where the dependent variable and independent variable can be separated on opposite sides of the equation. This allows for the equation to be solved by integrating both sides separately.

How do you solve a separable differential equation?

To solve a separable differential equation, you must first separate the variables and then integrate both sides. This will result in an equation with the dependent variable and independent variable separated. You can then solve for the dependent variable.

What is the general form of a separable differential equation?

The general form of a separable differential equation is dy/dx = f(x)g(y), where f(x) and g(y) are functions of the independent and dependent variables, respectively.

What is the significance of separable differential equations in science?

Separable differential equations are used in various fields of science, such as physics, chemistry, and biology, to model and solve many real-world problems. They allow scientists to analyze and understand complex systems and phenomena.

Are all differential equations separable?

No, not all differential equations are separable. Only a specific type of ordinary differential equations can be solved using the separable method. Other methods, such as exact, linear, or Bernoulli, are used to solve different types of differential equations.