Solution to Differential Equation Passing Through (0,e)

• Thread starter mrchauncey
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Separable
In summary, the solution to the given differential equation is ln(y) = (\frac{121x^{2}}{2}+1)^{\frac{1}{11}}, with a constant of integration of c = 1/11. The mistake in finding the constant was due to a calculation error and the person is advised to take a break from studying.
mrchauncey

Homework Statement

Find the solution to the differential equation. Which passes through the point (0,e).

[itex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{11xy}{(ln(y))^{10}}[/itex]

Homework Equations

I can get through the integration part but I am lost when it comes to using the ln rules to find the solution.

The Attempt at a Solution

First step I move the variables to each side.

[itex]\frac{(ln(y))^{10}}{y}[/itex] dy = 11x dx

I then integrate each side:

∫[itex]\frac{(ln(y))^{10}}{y}[/itex] dy = ∫11x dx

∫[itex]\frac{(ln(y))^{10}}{y}[/itex] dy, I used sub method. u = ln(y), du = 1/y dy -> dy = ydu

∫[itex]\frac{u^{10}}{y}[/itex] * y du, so the y's cancel out. making it:

∫ u[itex]^{10}[/itex] du = [itex]\frac{u^{11}}{11}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{ln(y)^{11}}{11}[/itex]

The other side is simple integration:

∫11x dx = [itex]\frac{11x^{2}}{2}[/itex], this gives:

[itex]\frac{ln(y)^{11}}{11}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{11x^{2}}{2}[/itex] + c, since it passes through
the point (0,e), I find my constant value c right away.

y(0)=e =[itex]\frac{ln(e)^{11}}{11}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{11(0)^{2}}{2}[/itex] + c

y(0)=e = 1 = 0 + c, so c = 1.

I then multiplied the 11 by both sides and got:

(ln(y))[itex]^{11}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{121x^{2}}{2}[/itex] + 11

This is where I am getting confused. I do not know how to use the ln rules on this one. The power of 11 is confusing me and I can not find an example like this one. Any help would be nice. thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can leave your answer as it is, you aren't really required to make y the subject. Otherwise you'd need to take the 11th root of both sides of the equation.

Likes 1 person
Wow. I am stupid. Haha. I can't believe I did not think of that. For some reason the exponent of 11 was messing me up. I'll take the 11th root of each side then put it in the form ln(y) = ... because that is what it asks for.

Thanks a lot man. I have being doing differential equations all day and my brain is running on low.

mrchauncey said:
Wow. I am stupid. Haha. I can't believe I did not think of that. For some reason the exponent of 11 was messing me up. I'll take the 11th root of each side then put it in the form ln(y) = ... because that is what it asks for.

Thanks a lot man. I have being doing differential equations all day and my brain is running on low.

You also slipped up when you found the constant c=1. If you substitute x=0 and y=e into your final expression it doesn't work. What happened?

Likes 1 person
Dick said:
You also slipped up when you found the constant c=1. If you substitute x=0 and y=e into your final expression it doesn't work. What happened?

I put it in my calculator wrong. I included the power of 11 in the e, so I had ln(e[itex]^{11}[/itex])= 11. It should be (ln(e))[itex]^{11}[/itex]=1. So c would be 1/11. So then my final answer would be

ln(y) = ([itex]\frac{121x^{2}}{2}[/itex]+1)[itex]^{\frac{1}{11}}[/itex]. I could go further but that's all the question asked for.

Thanks for pointing that out. I am starting to make simple mistakes so its about time I stop and take a break.

mrchauncey said:
I put it in my calculator wrong. I included the power of 11 in the e, so I had ln(e[itex]^{11}[/itex])= 11. It should be (ln(e))[itex]^{11}[/itex]=1. So c would be 1/11. So then my final answer would be

ln(y) = ([itex]\frac{121x^{2}}{2}[/itex]+1)[itex]^{\frac{1}{11}}[/itex]. I could go further but that's all the question asked for.

Thanks for pointing that out. I am starting to make simple mistakes so its about time I stop and take a break.

Yeah, take a break. Needing a calculator to find ##(ln(e))^{11}## is already a bad sign.

1. What is a separable equation?

A separable equation is a type of differential equation where the variables can be separated into two functions that are multiplied together. This allows for easier integration and solving of the equation.

2. How do you know if an equation is separable?

An equation is separable if it can be written in the form of dy/dx = f(x)g(y), where f(x) and g(y) are functions of x and y respectively. This means that the dependent variable and independent variable can be separated on opposite sides of the equation.

3. What are some common examples of separable equations?

Some common examples of separable equations include exponential growth and decay, population growth, and radioactive decay. These types of equations often involve the rate of change of a quantity with respect to time.

4. Why are separable equations important in science?

Separable equations are important in science because they allow for the modeling and understanding of many natural phenomena. They are used in fields such as physics, chemistry, biology, and economics to describe the behavior of systems over time and make predictions.

5. What are some techniques for solving separable equations?

There are several techniques for solving separable equations, including separation of variables, substitution, and integration by parts. The specific technique used depends on the form of the equation and the variables involved. It is important to carefully follow the steps of the chosen technique to ensure an accurate solution.