1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Separable equations-check my answers please

1. Nov 7, 2006 #1

dy/dx= (y^2 -1)/x

1. Give the general equation of the curves that satisfy this equation.

2. Show that the straight lines y=1 and y=-1 are also solutions

3. Do any of the curves you found in 1) intersect y=1?

My Ans:
    1. The general solution i found out to be x^2 + C = (y-1)/(y+1), correct?

2. Does that mean y=1 is a solution and y=-1 is not because it will have a denominator of zero?

3. The only intersection is at x=0, y=1 , since x can't be 0, there are no curves intersecting y=1

Am i doing anything wrong here?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 8, 2006 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

y=-1 is a valid solution as you can see from the ODE. y=1 as well. For the solution curves they are horizontal asymptotes.

Daniel.

4. Nov 8, 2006 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

2x= {1(y+1)-1(y-1)}/(y+1)^2 dy/dx= 2/(y+1)^2 dy/dx so
    dy/dx= x(y+1)^2. Doesn't look anything like dy/dx= (y^2-1)/x to me!
    I assume you got dy/(y^2-1)= dx/x. How did you integrate that? Be careful with your constant of integration. If ln a= ln b+ C then a= eCb= C'b where C'= eC. The point is that the constant is now multiplying not added to b.

No, "Show that the straight lines y=1 and y=-1 are also solutions" implies that both y= 1 and y= -1 are solutions! There is no "denominator of zero" because the equation as given, dy/dx= (y^2 -1)/x, has only x as denominator. y= 1 or y= -1 can't make the denominator 0. If you are referring to the y+1 in the denominator of your general solutions, the whole point of this exercise is to show you that there may be solutions to a d.e. that your "general" solution from integrating does not give.
    Suppose y= 1 for all x. What is dy/dx? What is (y^2- 1)/x when y= 1? Same questions for y= -1.

Recalculate your "general solution" and try this again. In fact, none of the solutions intersect y= 1 but not because of any problem at x= 0.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?