Solving Separable Equations: Hi, I'm Stuck!

• Thread starter Aero6
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Separable
In summary, the conversation is about solving a separable equations problem and the steps taken to solve it. However, there were some errors in the integration steps and the solution for C. The speaker also mentions uncertainty about determining the interval in which the solution is valid.
Aero6
Hi I've been working on this problem repeatedly and thought I understood how to solve separable equations problems but I keep getting the wrong answer.

y' = (1-2x)y^2

Here's what I got for the problem:

y'y^2 = (1-2x)

[tex]\int(1\y^2) dy = \int(1-2x)dx[/tex]

ln | y^2| = x-x^2 + C

e^ln|y^2| =e^ x-x^2 +C , e^C = C

y^2= + e^x-x^2 +C or y^2 = -e^x-x^2 +C

y=[tex]\sqrt{}+ or - Ce^x-x^2[/tex]

-1/6=+ or - [tex]\sqrt{}Ce^ 0-0^2[/tex]

(-1\6)^2 = + or -([tex]\sqrt{}C[/tex])^2

C = 1\36

y=+ or - [tex]\sqrt{}1\36 e^x-x^2[/tex]

Also, I'm not sure what to do when the problem tells you to determine the interval in which the solution is valid.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi Aero6! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(have a squared: ² and an integral: ∫ :smile:)

(and fractions in LaTeX are \frac{}{})

Aero6 said:
y' = (1-2x)y^2

y'y^2 = (1-2x)

[tex]\int\frac{1}{y^2} dy = \int(1-2x)dx[/tex]

ln | y^2| = x-x^2 + C

erm … you got too excited at seeing the 1/ in the ∫ … they're not all logs! :wink:

∫dy/y² = … ? :smile:

Aero6 said:
Hi I've been working on this problem repeatedly and thought I understood how to solve separable equations problems but I keep getting the wrong answer.

y' = (1-2x)y^2

y'y^2 = (1-2x)
Shouldn't it be y'/y^2= 1-2x ?

[tex]\int(1/y^2) dy = \int(1-2x)dx[/tex]
Yes, it was!

ln | y^2| = x-x^2 + C
No, the integral of y-2 is -y-1

e^ln|y^2| =e^ x-x^2 +C , e^C = C

y^2= + e^x-x^2 +C or y^2 = -e^x-x^2 +C

y=[tex]\sqrt{}+ or - Ce^x-x^2[/tex]

-1/6=+ or - [tex]\sqrt{}Ce^ 0-0^2[/tex]

(-1\6)^2 = + or -([tex]\sqrt{}C[/tex])^2

C = 1\36

y=+ or - [tex]\sqrt{}1\36 e^x-x^2[/tex]

Also, I'm not sure what to do when the problem tells you to determine the interval in which the solution is valid.

Thanks.

1. What are separable equations?

Separable equations are differential equations that can be written in the form of dy/dx = f(x)g(y), where f(x) and g(y) are functions of x and y respectively. This separation of variables allows for the equation to be solved by integrating both sides.

2. How do you solve separable equations?

To solve separable equations, you first need to separate the variables on either side of the equation. Then, integrate both sides with respect to their respective variables. Finally, solve for the constant of integration to find the general solution.

3. What is the purpose of solving separable equations?

Solving separable equations allows us to find the general solution to a differential equation, which can then be used to solve specific problems in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

4. What are some common strategies for solving separable equations?

Some common strategies for solving separable equations include using the initial condition given in the problem to solve for the constant of integration, substituting in known values to find specific solutions, and using algebraic manipulation to simplify the equation before integrating.

5. Are there any limitations to solving separable equations?

Yes, there are some limitations to solving separable equations. This method can only be applied to certain types of differential equations that can be written in the form dy/dx = f(x)g(y). Also, the solutions obtained may not always be valid for the entire domain of the equation, so it is important to check for any restrictions on the solution after solving.