1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Separable First Order ODE

1. Jun 19, 2011 #1
    2r(s^2+1)dr + (r^4 + 1)ds = 0

2.book answer different than mine...book's answer: r^2 + s = c(1 -r^2 s)

3. 2r(s^2+1)dr =- (r^4 + 1)ds
    -2r/r^4+1 dr = 1/s^2+1 ds
    int -2r/r^4+1 dr = int 1/s^2+1 ds
    with u substitution on left we have u = -2r, etc.
    tan^-1 r^2 = - tan^ -1 s + c
    tan^-1 r^2 + tan^-1 s = c

Last edited: Jun 19, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 19, 2011 #2
    Don't forget brackets in writing, it may confuse people.
    We have ∫ -2r/(r⁴+1) dr = ∫ 1/(s²+1) ds. The left integral gives -arctan(r²), the right arctan(s), so c - arctan(r²) = arctan(s). (You forgot the minus sign from the variable change). Taking the tangens on both sides and using the addition theorem we have
    s = tan [ c - arctan(r²) ] = ( tan c - r² )/( 1 + r² tan c ), so that with c' = tan c we get
    ( 1 + r² c' ) s = c' - r² which is exactly what your book gave you.

4. Jun 19, 2011 #3
    I, uh, don't remember the tangents theorem. Calculus topic? Precalc? I'll go google I guess. Thanks for the feedback.

5. Jun 20, 2011 #4
    The derivative of the answer should then match the initial problem; however, this did not work out for me. Does it check out for you?

6. Jun 20, 2011 #5

hunt_mat

Homework Helper

It doesn't look as you have completed the calculation. Take tan of both sides and use the trig expression for tan(A+B)

7. Jun 20, 2011 #6
    We have tan(a+b) = [ tan a + tan b ]/[ 1 - tan a tan b ], which can be derived using the addition theorems for sine and cosine.

And, if you derive r² + s = c(1 - r² s), you should get 2 r dr + ds = - c (2 r dr s) - c (r² ds), so ( 1 + c s ) 2 r dr + ( 1 + c r² ) ds = 0, which after substituting c from the result and multiplying by (1- r² s) simplifies to ( 1 + s² ) 2 r dr + ( 1 + r⁴ ) ds = 0, which is the original equation.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2011
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook