Understanding Separable First-Order Differential Equations

In summary, the conversation discusses a separable first-order differential equation and how to solve it by separating the equation and integrating it. The speaker also addresses a mistake in the listener's approach to solving the equation.
PhysicsMark

Homework Statement

The following is an explanation from my tutorial. I do not understand it.

[tex]{\frac{d}{dx}(y_1{{y_2}'}-y_2{{y_1}'})+P(x)(y_1{{y_2}'}-y_2{{y_1}'})=0[/tex]

Overlooking for the moment that P(x) may be undefined at certain values of x(so-called-singular points of the equation), we recognize this equation to be a separable first-order differential equation for the function [tex]y_1{{y_2}'}-y_2{{y_1}'}[/tex] that can be integrated to give:

[tex]y_1{{y_2}'}-y_2{{y_1}'}= C_{12}(exp(-{\int{P(x')dx'}})[/tex]

[tex]y_1{{y_2}'}-y_2{{y_1}'}= C_{12}\phi[P][/tex]

Where [tex]C_{12}[/tex] is an integration constant that depends, possibly, on the choices of functions y_1 and y_2, and phi[P] is a functional, that is, a function that depends upon another function, in this case, P(x). The expression on the left hand side is called the Wronskian of the functions y_1 and y_2.

I do not understand how they separate this equation. Here is what I do. I first separate like this:
[tex]{\frac{d}{dx}(y_1{{y_2}'}-y_2{{y_1}'})=-P(x)(y_1{{y_2}'}-y_2{{y_1}'})[/tex]

Then I multiply both sides by dx. Next I divide both sides by [tex]y_1{{y_2}'}-y_2{{y_1}'}[/tex]

Then I have:

[tex]{\int{1}d}=-{\int{P(x)dx}[/tex]

What am I doing wrong here?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can't just divide by y1y2'-y2y1' and have it cancel out from d/dx(y1y2'-y2y1')

Let's do it your way

[tex]\frac{d}{dx}(y_1y_2'-y_2y_1')+P(x)(y_1y_2'-y_2y_1')=0[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow \frac{d}{dx}(y_1y_2'-y_2y_1')= -P(x)(y_1y_2'-y_2y_1')[/tex]

now if we divide by y1y2'-y2y1' we will get

[tex]\frac{1}{y_1y_2'-y_2y_1'} \frac{d}{dx}(y_1y_2'-y_2y_1') = -P(x)[/tex]

Now because the term on the left is a tad bit confusing, let's simplify it and let z=y1y2'-y2y1'. So our equation becomes

[tex]\frac{1}{z} \frac{dz}{dx}= -P(x) \Rightarrow \frac{1}{z} dz = -P(x)dx[/tex]

now you can integrate both sides. I am sure you can get z isolated on the left side.

Then replace 'z'.

Alternatively what you can do is multiply both sides of the original differential equation by an integrating factor of e∫P(x) dx.

1. What is a first-order differential equation?

A first-order differential equation is a mathematical equation that relates the rate of change of a function to the function itself. It involves only one independent variable and the highest derivative in the equation is a first derivative.

2. What does it mean for a differential equation to be separable?

A separable first-order differential equation is one that can be written as a product of two functions, one involving the independent variable and the other involving the dependent variable. This allows us to separate the variables and solve the equation by integrating both sides.

3. How do I solve a separable first-order differential equation?

To solve a separable first-order differential equation, you need to separate the variables and then integrate both sides of the equation. This will give you a general solution in the form of an implicit equation. You can then use initial conditions to find a particular solution.

4. What are the applications of separable first-order differential equations?

Separable first-order differential equations have applications in physics, chemistry, engineering, and many other fields. They can be used to model real-life phenomena such as population growth, radioactive decay, and heat transfer.

5. Are there any limitations to using separable first-order differential equations?

Yes, there are some limitations to using separable first-order differential equations. They can only be used to solve equations with one independent variable and the highest derivative being a first derivative. They also cannot be used to solve all types of differential equations, such as second-order or non-separable equations.