1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Separable FODE

1. Feb 13, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The following is an explanation from my tutorial. I do not understand it.

Overlooking for the moment that P(x) may be undefined at certain values of x(so-called-singular points of the equation), we recognize this equation to be a separable first-order differential equation for the function [tex]y_1{{y_2}'}-y_2{{y_1}'}[/tex] that can be integrated to give:

[tex]y_1{{y_2}'}-y_2{{y_1}'}= C_{12}(exp(-{\int{P(x')dx'}})[/tex]

[tex]y_1{{y_2}'}-y_2{{y_1}'}= C_{12}\phi[P][/tex]

Where [tex]C_{12}[/tex] is an integration constant that depends, possibly, on the choices of functions y_1 and y_2, and phi[P] is a functional, that is, a function that depends upon another function, in this case, P(x). The expression on the left hand side is called the Wronskian of the functions y_1 and y_2.

I do not understand how they separate this equation. Here is what I do. I first separate like this:

Then I multiply both sides by dx. Next I divide both sides by [tex]y_1{{y_2}'}-y_2{{y_1}'}[/tex]

Then I have:

What am I doing wrong here?
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 14, 2010 #2

Homework Helper

You can't just divide by y1y2'-y2y1' and have it cancel out from d/dx(y1y2'-y2y1')

Let's do it your way

[tex]\Rightarrow \frac{d}{dx}(y_1y_2'-y_2y_1')= -P(x)(y_1y_2'-y_2y_1')[/tex]

now if we divide by y1y2'-y2y1' we will get

[tex]\frac{1}{y_1y_2'-y_2y_1'} \frac{d}{dx}(y_1y_2'-y_2y_1') = -P(x)[/tex]

Now because the term on the left is a tad bit confusing, let's simplify it and let z=y1y2'-y2y1'. So our equation becomes

[tex]\frac{1}{z} \frac{dz}{dx}= -P(x) \Rightarrow \frac{1}{z} dz = -P(x)dx[/tex]

now you can integrate both sides. I am sure you can get z isolated on the left side.

Then replace 'z'.

Alternatively what you can do is multiply both sides of the original differential equation by an integrating factor of e∫P(x) dx.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook