Separable ODE Solution: Solving for y in dy/dt = (ab - c(y^2)) / a

In summary, the problem you are having is that you are trying to integrate dy/dt, but are not able to express it in terms of y. You can use trig substitution to simplify the equation, but it may still be too complex. Another way to tackle the equation might be to use z = c/ab y to simplify it to y = c/ab t+C_0.
flaconlx
Hi, I'm having trouble with this ODE problem:

The prompt asks to find the solution of the ODE using separation of variables.

dy/dt = (ab - c(y^2)) / a,

where a, b and c are constants.

I proceed to divide both sides by (ab - c(y^2)) and multiply both sides by dt, but I'm having trouble integrating and expressing the solution in terms of y.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
So you are trying to solve the following integration??

[tex] \int \frac{dy}{b - c/ay^2} [/tex]

one of the very standard way to do it is to use trig substitution... i.e. [tex] y = C' sin \theta [/tex] determine what C' shall you use in order to cancel out the denumerater...

Sorry, I must be missing something.. the integration that I was attempting to do was:

[tex] \int \frac{dy}{ab - c(y^2)} [/tex]

Will trig substitution also work with this?

Yes... But if you use [tex]y = C' tan\theta [/tex], it might be easier to do...
just try it and see where you go...

ArcTanh[(Sqrt[c]*x)/(Sqrt[a]*Sqrt)]/ (Sqrt[a]*Sqrt*Sqrt[c])

is the solution to the integral, but it seems too complex for this problem. I guess a better question would be: is there another way to tackle the ODE so that I will arrive at an easier solution?

i.e. I need a formula in terms of y...

So, you are saying [tex] t = tan^{-1} (C'' y) + C'''[/tex] is too complicated?
I don't think you could simplify this further...

how do I represent the equation in terms of y?

btw, thanks for the help so far

[tex] \int dt = \int \frac{1}{b}\frac{dy}{1-c/ab y^2} [/tex]
[tex] t + C_0 = \frac {1}{2b} \int \frac{1}{1-\sqrt{c/ab}y} + \frac{1}{1+\sqrt{c/ab}y} dy [/tex]
use [tex] z = \sqrt{c/ab}y [/tex]
[tex] t + C_0 = \frac{1}{2b} \sqrt{ab/c}( ln(1+z) - ln(1-z) + C_1)[/tex]
[tex] t + C_2 = 1/2\sqrt{a/bc} ln (1+z)/(1-z) [/tex]
[tex] e^{2\sqrt{bc/a}t} + C_3 = (1+z)/(1-z) [/tex]
[tex] z = (e^{2\sqrt{bc/a}t} + C_3 -1 ) / (e^{2\sqrt{bc/a}t} + C_3 + 1) [/tex]
[tex] y = \sqrt{ab/c}(e^{2\sqrt{bc/a}t} + C_3 -1 ) / (e^{2\sqrt{bc/a}t} + C_3 + 1) [/tex]

Last edited:
That actually helps me quite a bit.
Thank you!

1. What is a separable ODE?

A separable ODE, or ordinary differential equation, is one in which the dependent variable and independent variable can be separated on opposite sides of the equation. This allows for the equation to be solved by integrating each side separately.

2. How do you solve for y in dy/dt = (ab - c(y^2)) / a?

To solve for y, you first need to separate the variables by moving all terms containing y to one side of the equation and all terms containing t to the other side. Then, you can integrate each side separately and solve for y. This may involve using integration techniques such as u-substitution or integration by parts.

3. What is the general solution for dy/dt = (ab - c(y^2)) / a?

The general solution for this separable ODE is y(t) = -sqrt(ab/c) tanh(sqrt(cab)t + C), where C is a constant of integration. This can be obtained by integrating both sides and solving for y.

4. Are there any special cases for this type of separable ODE?

Yes, for this specific ODE, if c = 0, then the equation becomes a simple linear ODE, dy/dt = ab/a, and the solution is y(t) = abt + C. Additionally, if ab = 0, then the solution becomes y(t) = 0 + C, or simply y(t) = C.

5. Can this separable ODE be solved using any other methods?

Yes, in some cases, a separable ODE can also be solved using the method of separating variables, which involves rewriting the equation as dy/dt = g(y)h(t) and then integrating both sides. However, this method may not always work for every separable ODE, so it is important to try different methods if one does not work initially.