1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Separable ODE Problem

1. Jan 19, 2007 #1
    Hi, I'm having trouble with this ODE problem:

The prompt asks to find the solution of the ODE using separation of variables.

dy/dt = (ab - c(y^2)) / a,

where a, b and c are constants.

I proceed to divide both sides by (ab - c(y^2)) and multiply both sides by dt, but I'm having trouble integrating and expressing the solution in terms of y.

Thanks in advance.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 19, 2007 #2
    So you are trying to solve the following integration??

[tex] \int \frac{dy}{b - c/ay^2} [/tex]

one of the very standard way to do it is to use trig substitution.... i.e. [tex] y = C' sin \theta [/tex] determine what C' shall you use in order to cancel out the denumerater...
  4. Jan 19, 2007 #3
    Sorry, I must be missing something.. the integration that I was attempting to do was:

[tex] \int \frac{dy}{ab - c(y^2)} [/tex]

Will trig substitution also work with this?
  5. Jan 19, 2007 #4
    Yes... But if you use [tex]y = C' tan\theta [/tex], it might be easier to do....
    just try it and see where you go....
  6. Jan 19, 2007 #5
    ArcTanh[(Sqrt[c]*x)/(Sqrt[a]*Sqrt)]/ (Sqrt[a]*Sqrt*Sqrt[c])

is the solution to the integral, but it seems too complex for this problem. I guess a better question would be: is there another way to tackle the ODE so that I will arrive at an easier solution?

i.e. I need a formula in terms of y...
  7. Jan 19, 2007 #6
    So, you are saying [tex] t = tan^{-1} (C'' y) + C'''[/tex] is too complicated???
    I don't think you could simplify this further...
  8. Jan 19, 2007 #7
    how do I represent the equation in terms of y?

btw, thanks for the help so far
  9. Jan 19, 2007 #8
    [tex] \int dt = \int \frac{1}{b}\frac{dy}{1-c/ab y^2} [/tex]
    [tex] t + C_0 = \frac {1}{2b} \int \frac{1}{1-\sqrt{c/ab}y} + \frac{1}{1+\sqrt{c/ab}y} dy [/tex]
    use [tex] z = \sqrt{c/ab}y [/tex]
    [tex] t + C_0 = \frac{1}{2b} \sqrt{ab/c}( ln(1+z) - ln(1-z) + C_1)[/tex]
    [tex] t + C_2 = 1/2\sqrt{a/bc} ln (1+z)/(1-z) [/tex]
    [tex] e^{2\sqrt{bc/a}t} + C_3 = (1+z)/(1-z) [/tex]
    [tex] z = (e^{2\sqrt{bc/a}t} + C_3 -1 ) / (e^{2\sqrt{bc/a}t} + C_3 + 1) [/tex]
    [tex] y = \sqrt{ab/c}(e^{2\sqrt{bc/a}t} + C_3 -1 ) / (e^{2\sqrt{bc/a}t} + C_3 + 1) [/tex]
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2007
  10. Jan 19, 2007 #9
    That actually helps me quite a bit.
    Thank you!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?