Separate Variables Differential Eq. of Cubic Power

In summary: The OP cannot solve for y explicitly and is asking for help or resources to do so. In summary, the conversation is about solving the non-linear ordinary differential equation dy/dx =x^2 /(1+y^2) and the difficulty in expressing the general solution in explicit form, which involves imaginary numbers and multiple roots. The OP has attempted to solve it using substitution and integration, but is now seeking guidance on the next step or resources for solving equations with the form Ax^3+Bx^2+Cx+D=0.
knowLittle

Homework Statement

When possible express the general solution in explicit form.
Solve dy/dx =x^2 /(1+y^2)

Homework Equations

This is a first order non-linear ordinary differential equation.

The Attempt at a Solution

dy(1+y^2) = x^2 dx
Integration both sides returns:
y+ (y^3 )/3= (x^3)/3 +C
Now, I am aware that there is more than one solution for y involving imaginary numbers. Can someone help me in the next step or direct me to a site?
I have seen cubic solutions tutorial, but they involve equations of the form: Ax^3+Bx^2+Cx+D=0

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
knowLittle said:

Homework Statement

When possible express the general solution in explicit form.
Solve dy/dx =x^2 /(1+y^2)

Homework Equations

This is a first order non-linear ordinary differential equation.

The Attempt at a Solution

dy(1+y^2) = x^2 dx
Integration both sides returns:
y+ (y^3 )/3= (x^3)/3 +C
Now, I am aware that there is more than one solution for y involving imaginary numbers. Can someone help me in the next step or direct me to a site?
I have seen cubic solutions tutorial, but they involve equations of the form: Ax^3+Bx^2+Cx+D=0

Thank you.

I really don't think you want to solve for y. With an expression like that I'd just leave in the implicit form you already have, or maybe express x as a function of y instead. Don't try to use the cubic formula. It's a mess.

Last edited:
Yes, I am aware that it is kinda difficult to solve for 'y' and that's why I wanted to try it out. It involves imaginary numbers and many roots.
If someone can point me in the right direction, that would great.

Luckily, this is a seperable equation, which means you can rewrite it as
$$(1+y^2)dy = x^2dx.$$
Now, what can you do to get rid of those pesky differentials?

Thank you, tiny-tim. I usually use latex for big equations, but I thought it wouldn't be a big deal.

I was thinking that I could solve it like your wikipedia link... this will be interesting. Thanks.

YawningDog27 said:
Luckily, this is a seperable equation, which means you can rewrite it as
$$(1+y^2)dy = x^2dx.$$
Now, what can you do to get rid of those pesky differentials?
You really need to read through the thread. The OP has already done this and has gotten a solution.

1. What is a Separate Variables Differential Equation of Cubic Power?

A Separate Variables Differential Equation of Cubic Power is a type of differential equation in which the variables can be separated on opposite sides of the equal sign. It is also known as a separable differential equation and includes a cubic term (x^3) in the equation.

2. How do you solve a Separate Variables Differential Equation of Cubic Power?

To solve a Separate Variables Differential Equation of Cubic Power, you need to follow these steps:1. Separate the variables on opposite sides of the equal sign.2. Integrate both sides of the equation.3. Solve for the constant of integration.4. Substitute back the original variables to obtain the solution.

3. What are the applications of Separate Variables Differential Equations of Cubic Power?

Separate Variables Differential Equations of Cubic Power have various applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. They are commonly used to model growth and decay phenomena, population dynamics, and chemical reactions. They are also used to solve problems related to electric circuits, heat transfer, and fluid mechanics.

4. Can a Separate Variables Differential Equation of Cubic Power have multiple solutions?

Yes, a Separate Variables Differential Equation of Cubic Power can have multiple solutions. This is because the constant of integration can take different values, resulting in different solutions. Additionally, in some cases, the equation may have a family of solutions that satisfy the given conditions.

5. Are there any special techniques to solve Separate Variables Differential Equations of Cubic Power?

Yes, there are some special techniques that can be used to solve Separate Variables Differential Equations of Cubic Power, such as substitution and the method of undetermined coefficients. In some cases, using a suitable change of variables can also simplify the equation and make it easier to solve.