1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Separating an ODE

1. May 21, 2007 #1
    The rate of growth of the population x of a country is proportional to the product of x and (M-x), where M is a constant. Assume that x can be regarded as a continuous function of the time t with a continuous derivative at all times and show that if x=M/2 when t=50 then
    [tex] x=\frac{M}{1+\exp^{-Mk(t-50)}} \\[/tex].
    My attempt:
    [tex]\frac{dx}{dt} \propto x(M-x) [/tex] Therefore
    [tex] \int\frac{1}{x(M-x)}dx = k\int dt [/tex] Solving the first integral, using partial fractions, we get:
    [tex] \int \frac{1}{x(M-x)} dx = \frac{-1}{M} \int \frac{1}{x} dx + \frac{1}{M} \int \frac{1}{m-x} dx \\ [/tex]
    Solving the 2nd integral on the l.h.s., let u=M-x => -du=dx, therefore [tex]\int \frac{1}{x(M-x)} dx = \frac{-1}{M} \ln{x} + \frac{-1}{M} \int \frac{1}{u}du \\ [/tex] =-1/M(ln(x) + ln(m-x)) = -1/M*ln(x(M-x)) = [tex] k\int dt[/tex].
    Therefore ln(x(M-x)) = -M*k*t - M*c. => [tex] x(M-x) = \exp{-M(kt+c)} [/tex].
    As you can see x is not separated, but I cannot find the mistake/s that gave rise to this. Thanks for helping.
    Last edited: May 21, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. May 21, 2007 #2
    Recheck the integration by partial fractions.
  4. May 21, 2007 #3
    I now get x/(M-x) =[tex] \exp{-M(kt+c) [/tex]
  5. May 21, 2007 #4
    What you wrote as

[tex] \int \frac{1}{x(M-x)} dx = \frac{-1}{M} \int \frac{1}{x} dx + \frac{1}{M} \int\frac{1}{m-x} dx \\ [/tex]

should have been...

[tex] \int \frac{1}{x(M-x)} dx = \frac{1}{M} \int \frac{1}{x} dx + \frac{1}{M} \int \frac{1}{M-x} dx \\ [/tex]

i.e.No minus signs.

After integrating, it should read,

[tex]\frac{1}{M}\left[\ln{x} - \ln{\left(M-x\right)}\right] = k\int{dt}[/tex]
    Last edited: May 21, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?