Separating substances under lower atmos press

• Thread starter chiefy
  • Start date
In summary: Cryogenic distillation would essentially be a way of "cooling" the reaction so that it does not produce potentially dangerous byproducts.
chiefy
Can a cyclohexane-toluene mixture be separated if the external pressure is 350mm HG instead of 760 mmHG ?

My guess is yes, lowering the atmospheric pressure will only lower the boiling point, it won't affect whether separation will occur. By the way, is this what we call vacuum distillation? I need a little greater explanation. DOes anyone have any ideas?

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
chiefy said:
Can a cyclohexane-toluene mixture be separated if the external pressure is 350mm HG instead of 760 mmHG ?
My guess is yes, lowering the atmospheric pressure will only lower the boiling point, it won't affect whether separation will occur. By the way, is this what we call vacuum distillation? I need a little greater explanation. DOes anyone have any ideas?

yeah, but I think that for the most part vacuum distillation is used for compounds with high boiling points, which decompose under such temperatures.

http://www.Newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/chem00/chem00635.htm

The boiling point of cyclohexane at atmospheric pressure is 81.4 and that of toluene 110.8 which means that they can be separated easily. At reduced pressure,the difference in boiling points will probably be large enough to allow for separation.

if you're meaning through simple distillation probably not, I think what they usually do with vacuum distillation is to trap the gaseous organics in a "cryogenic chamber", that is if the organics are gases at that temperature. Fractional distillation may work even at normal pressures.

I am not quite sure understand your post. The only reason for vacuum distillation as opposed to atmospheric pressure is that because the boiling points are lowered, it is possible to operate with less thermal decomposition.

Mr.Chiefy:
According to my Handbook of Chemistry and Physics,the change in boiling point with pressure is given by:
[tex]\deltat=(273.1+t)(2.8808-logp)/phi+.15(2.8808-logp)[/tex]
where t is temperature,p is pressure and phi can be obtained from a graph. I picked 4.7 for cyclohexane and 4.6 for toluene.

Assuming my arithmetic is fairly correct,this is what transpires:
Cyclohexane at 350mm boils at 58.5 centigrade
Toluene at 350mm boils at 85.5 centigrade.
Consequently distillation at 350mm ought to separate the compounds very well.

vacuum distillation is something I just through in there, I simply wanted to know if they separate under a lower pressure, and I think the consensus is that they will. Thanks for the replies.

renerob said:
I am not quite sure understand your post. The only reason for vacuum distillation as opposed to atmospheric pressure is that because the boiling points are lowered, it is possible to operate with less thermal decomposition.

thermal decomposition of organics? cyclohexane and toulene?

Personally I have had a couple of compounds that I have tried to purify by distillation and I got better results by distilling at atmospheric pressure than at low temperature. Then again, the bp difference was a bit smaller in my case.

Also, you don't necessarily need cryogenic cooling when you do vacuum distillation. A simple, water-cooled distillation apparatus is often good enough when you are dealing with high boiling materials. There definitely are cases where you need to condense the distillate at very cold temps, but not always.

GCT:
Good point. In this particular case one other good reason is that both compounds are very flamable.

1. What is the purpose of separating substances under lower atmospheric pressure?

The purpose of separating substances under lower atmospheric pressure is to remove volatile components from a mixture without using heat. This process is commonly used in industries such as food production, pharmaceuticals, and chemical processing.

2. How does separating substances under lower atmospheric pressure work?

During this process, the mixture is placed in a container and the air inside is removed using a vacuum pump. As the pressure decreases, the boiling point of the volatile components also decreases, causing them to evaporate and be removed from the mixture. The remaining components can then be collected and separated.

3. What are the advantages of separating substances under lower atmospheric pressure?

One major advantage is that it allows for separation without the use of high temperatures, which can damage sensitive substances. It also allows for more precise separation of components and can be a more environmentally friendly method compared to other separation techniques.

4. What types of substances can be separated using this method?

Substances that have different boiling points and are volatile at lower temperatures can be separated using this method. This includes liquids, gases, and even certain solids. Some common examples of substances that can be separated include essential oils, solvents, and flavor extracts.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when separating substances under lower atmospheric pressure?

Yes, it is important to wear protective gear such as gloves and safety glasses, as the process involves handling potentially hazardous substances. It is also important to follow proper procedures when operating the vacuum pump to avoid any accidents. Additionally, the container used for the process should be able to withstand the pressure changes without breaking.