Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Separation axioms vs subspaces

1. Jun 8, 2005 #1

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

How do separation axioms carry over to subspaces?

Some are clear -- it's easy to see that if any two points of a space X are separated by neighborhoods, then the same must be true of any subset S of X.

But what about the nicer ones? Is it true that if S is a subset of a normal space, that S is itself normal?

This one is less obvious... one example that worries me is this:

Consider the union S of two open discs in R^2. (that aren't disjoint) Consider the two closed sets formed by restricting the boundaries of the two discs to S. We can't directly appeal to the normality of R^2, because the closure of these sets aren't disjoint in R^2.

It is still easy to see S is normal, because it's homeomorphic to R^2, but that doesn't help me in the general case of a subset of an aribtrary normal space.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 8, 2005 #2

NateTG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It should be pretty easy to see that subspaces on closed subsets of normal spaces are normal. Or, for that matter that on any normal space [itex]S[/itex], the subspace formed on [tex]S_1[/tex] is normal if, for any two closed sets [tex]U,V[/tex] in [itex]S[/itex] there exists an open set [itex]O[/itex] so that [itex]O\supset U \cap V[/itex] and [itex]O \cap S_1 = \emptyset[/itex]

It's pretty straightforward to come up with examples of subspaces of normal spaces that aren't normal. For example, consider the space
    [tex]\{0,1,o,c\}[/tex]
    Where the open sets are
    [tex]\emptyset,\{o\},\{0,o\},\{1,o\},\{0,1,o\},\{0,1,o,c\}[/tex]

Which is normal, since the only closed set that does not contain [itex]c[/itex] is [itex] \emptyset[/itex].

However, the subspace [itex]\{0,1,o\}[/itex] is not normal since [itex]{0}[/itex] and [itex]{1}[/itex] are both closed, but any open set containing either also contains [itex]o[/itex].

4. Jun 8, 2005 #3

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Bleh. Well, what if the space is nicer? Like a normal T2 space?

5. Jun 8, 2005 #4

NateTG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hmmm. I have a hard enough time thinking of a non-normal T2 space.

6. Jun 8, 2005 #5

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Normal_space suggests that if you take the uncountable product of noncompact Hausdorff spaces, it won't be normal.

Oh, I guess that suggests an example -- take an uncountable product of compact Hausdorff spaces. That should be normal, right? Then, take as a subset the uncountable product of an open subset.

*sigh* How disappointing. Topology is hard! Maybe I should stick to the world of metric spaces, I understand those better! :smile:

7. Jun 8, 2005 #6

NateTG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I was wondering if the long line was going to figure into this.

Topology is nice. It's just that negative examples can be really hard to think of.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2005
  8. Jun 8, 2005 #7

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ack, open sets that are compact? :frown: Well, doesn't the quote from the wikipedia article imply the open subset wouldn't be normal?

Incidentally, the property I want to be true is this:

If I have closed sets [itex]A \cup B = C[/itex], then there exists closed sets A' and B' such that [itex]A' \cup B' = X[/itex], [itex] A' \cap C = A[/itex], and [itex]B' \cap C = B[/itex].

Actually, I don't even need that strong -- I think that it's good enough that if C is a reducible closed set, then there is a way to write X as the union of two closed sets, neither containing C.

I think that this is provable if the complement of C is a normal space, but I guess I can't guarantee that, even if X is a "nice" space. :frown:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?