Separation of Nanotubes | Electric Discharge

• Thread starter arauca
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Separation
In summary, the conversation is about separation techniques for carbon nanotubes produced by electric discharge. The speaker has applied high voltages to densified CNT structures in a vacuum and is asking for more specific information. The other person mentions that fellows have developed purification techniques for carbon nanotubes and provides a link for reference. The original speaker then asks about the first step in the purification process and inquires about the use of solvents or dispersing agents.
arauca
Anyone familiar with separation of nanotubes produced by electric discharge

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Can you be more specific? I've applied high voltages to densified CNT structures in a vacuum.

http://eosl.gtri.gatech.edu/Default.aspx?tabid=117 [Broken] fellows have developed several techniques for purification of carbon nanotubes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry I don't know which fellows

arauca, the word "these" in his post is a link you can click.

Likes 1 person
What does algebra have to do with my question

Curiouser and curiouser! As far as I can tell link that chemisttree posted:

http://eosl.gtri.gatech.edu/Default.aspx?tabid=117 [Broken]

is definitely about nanotubes purification techniques, not about algebra.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am interested in the first step, were you take the soot and what solvent or what dispersing agent you use to separate the tubes from carbonate us material. before preeliminary filytation takes place .

Thank you

1. What is the purpose of separating nanotubes using electric discharge?

The purpose of separating nanotubes using electric discharge is to isolate and purify specific types of nanotubes for various applications such as electronics, energy storage, and drug delivery. This process allows for the removal of impurities and the separation of different types of nanotubes based on their physical and chemical properties.

2. How does electric discharge separate nanotubes?

Electric discharge separates nanotubes based on their electrical properties. Nanotubes with different electrical conductivities will experience varying levels of attraction or repulsion to an electric field, causing them to separate from each other. This process is also known as dielectrophoresis.

3. Can electric discharge separate all types of nanotubes?

No, electric discharge can only separate nanotubes that have different electrical properties, such as metallic and semiconducting nanotubes. It cannot separate nanotubes with similar electrical properties, such as two different types of semiconducting nanotubes.

4. Are there any limitations to using electric discharge for nanotube separation?

Yes, there are some limitations to using electric discharge for nanotube separation. This method may not be effective for separating nanotubes with very similar electrical properties. Additionally, the purity of the separated nanotubes may be affected by the presence of other substances in the sample.

5. What are the potential applications of nanotube separation using electric discharge?

Nanotube separation using electric discharge has a wide range of potential applications. It can be used in the production of electronic devices, such as transistors and sensors, as well as in the development of new materials for energy storage and drug delivery. This method also has the potential to improve the efficiency and performance of existing technologies by providing pure and well-separated nanotubes.