Separation of Variables (PDE) for the Laplace Equation

In summary: Therefore, all values of a_n must be zero except for a_1 , which is equal to 1. In summary, the first step in this proof shows that for the given expression to be true for all values of x, all the values of a_n must be zero except a_1 , which is equal to 1.
FAS1998
TL;DR Summary
I've attached an image of a solved problem. Can somebody explain the steps in the yellow box? I don't understand how they got to that point from the previous steps.

Physics news on Phys.org
I suspect it is the first step that is bothering you.
[tex] \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}a_n \sin(\frac{n \pi x}{2}) \sinh(\frac{n \pi}{2}) = \sin(\frac{\pi x}{2}) [/tex]
This is true for all values of x. The only way this can be true is for all of the [itex] a_n[/itex] to be zero except [itex]a_1[/itex]. Is this the step that is troubling you? After this, the rest follows pretty easily.

Likes FAS1998
phyzguy said:
I suspect it is the first step that is bothering you.
[tex] \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}a_n \sin(\frac{n \pi x}{2}) \sinh(\frac{n \pi}{2}) = \sin(\frac{\pi x}{2}) [/tex]
This is true for all values of x. The only way this can be true is for all of the [itex] a_n[/itex] to be zero except [itex]a_1[/itex]. Is this the step that is troubling you? After this, the rest follows pretty easily.
That is the step that is bothering me. Can you explain why all values of a must be 0 except a1?

FAS1998 said:
That is the step that is bothering me. Can you explain why all values of a must be 0 except a1?

The functions [itex] \sin(\frac{n \pi x}{2})[/itex] are orthogonal functions on the interval (0,2). If I integrate:
[tex] \int_0^2 \sin(\frac{n \pi x}{2}) \sin(\frac{m \pi x}{2}) dx = \delta_{nm} [/tex]
so it is zero unless n=m. So if you take your original expression, multiply both sides by [itex] \sin(\frac{m \pi x}{2})[/itex] and integrate both sides you get:

[tex] \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}a_n \sinh(\frac{n \pi}{2}) \int_0^2 \sin(\frac{n \pi x}{2}) \sin(\frac{m \pi x}{2}) = \int_0^2 \sin(\frac{\pi x}{2}) \sin(\frac{m \pi x}{2}) dx [/tex]

This gives [itex] a_m \sinh(\frac{m \pi}{2}) = 0 [/itex] if m is not equal to 1, and [itex] a_m \sinh(\frac{m \pi}{2}) = 1 [/itex] if m = 1.

Likes umby and FAS1998

1. What is the Laplace equation and why is it important in separation of variables?

The Laplace equation is a partial differential equation (PDE) that describes the behavior of steady-state systems. It is important in separation of variables because it allows us to break down a complex PDE into simpler, independent equations that can be solved individually.

2. How does separation of variables work for the Laplace equation?

Separation of variables involves assuming a solution to the Laplace equation in the form of a product of two functions, one depending only on the spatial variables and the other depending only on the temporal variable. This allows us to separate the PDE into two ordinary differential equations, which can be solved using standard techniques.

3. What are the boundary conditions for the Laplace equation in separation of variables?

The boundary conditions for the Laplace equation in separation of variables are typically specified at the boundaries of the system. These can include Dirichlet boundary conditions, which specify the values of the solution at the boundaries, or Neumann boundary conditions, which specify the values of the derivative of the solution at the boundaries.

4. Can separation of variables be used for other types of PDEs?

Yes, separation of variables can also be used for other types of PDEs, such as the heat equation and the wave equation. However, it is most commonly used for the Laplace equation due to its simple form and the availability of analytical solutions.

5. Are there any limitations to using separation of variables for the Laplace equation?

Yes, separation of variables can only be used for PDEs with certain boundary conditions, such as those that are linear and homogeneous. It also requires the PDE to have a simple form, which may not always be the case for more complex systems. In these cases, numerical methods may be more suitable for solving the PDE.