Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Separation of Variables

1. Jan 31, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find an implicit and explicit solution for the given initial-value problem

[tex]\frac{dx}{dt}=4(x^2+1)[/tex] for [tex]x(\frac{\pi}{4})=1[/tex]

[tex]\frac{dx}{dt}=4(x^2+1)[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow \frac{dx}{x^2+1}=4dt[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow \tan^{-1}x+C=4t[/tex]

Now I am a little stuck. Usually I just plug in my values. I am thinking of taking the tan of both sides, eh?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 31, 2008 #2
    x = tan(4t-C) looks like a good idea to me :)

4. Feb 1, 2008 #3

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

Yes, x= tan(4t- C) is sensible. But you don't HAVE to do that to "plug in the values": your equation, as it is, says [itex]tan^{-1} + C= \pi[/itex]. What is arctan 1?

5. Feb 1, 2008 #4
    Okay, I see now. But I have a new question, or rather just need some clarification.

In Calculus, we always integrated one dependent variable wrt one independent, which is what I am doing above here, except that something new arises in these separation of variables problems.

Since I am integrating TWO functions that are said to be equivalent, I end up with TWO arbitrary constants. Now I have been shown that they could just be moved to one side of the equation, and since one is just as arbitrary as the other, I can just write them as C (just one). I am fine with this.

But in the above example, suppose I had chose to put +C on the RHS instead of the left.
    Now solving for this arbitrary constant I would have gotten that [itex]C=-\frac{3}{4}\pi[/itex] instead of [itex]+\frac{3}{4}\pi[/itex]

What does this all mean?
    Sorry if it is obvious!

Casey

6. Feb 1, 2008 #5
    It just means that

[tex]\tan^{-1}x + \frac{3\pi}{4} = 4t[/tex]

is equivalent to

[tex]\tan^{-1}x = 4t - \frac{3\pi}{4}[/tex]

:smile:

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook