1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Separation of Variables

1. Jan 31, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find an implicit and explicit solution for the given initial-value problem

[tex]\frac{dx}{dt}=4(x^2+1)[/tex] for [tex]x(\frac{\pi}{4})=1[/tex]

[tex]\frac{dx}{dt}=4(x^2+1)[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow \frac{dx}{x^2+1}=4dt[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow \tan^{-1}x+C=4t[/tex]

Now I am a little stuck. Usually I just plug in my values. I am thinking of taking the tan of both sides, eh?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 31, 2008 #2
    x = tan(4t-C) looks like a good idea to me :)

4. Feb 1, 2008 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, x= tan(4t- C) is sensible. But you don't HAVE to do that to "plug in the values": your equation, as it is, says [itex]tan^{-1} + C= \pi[/itex]. What is arctan 1?

5. Feb 1, 2008 #4
    Okay, I see now. But I have a new question, or rather just need some clarification.

In Calculus, we always integrated one dependent variable wrt one independent, which is what I am doing above here, except that something new arises in these separation of variables problems.

Since I am integrating TWO functions that are said to be equivalent, I end up with TWO arbitrary constants. Now I have been shown that they could just be moved to one side of the equation, and since one is just as arbitrary as the other, I can just write them as C (just one). I am fine with this.

But in the above example, suppose I had chose to put +C on the RHS instead of the left.
    Now solving for this arbitrary constant I would have gotten that [itex]C=-\frac{3}{4}\pi[/itex] instead of [itex]+\frac{3}{4}\pi[/itex]

What does this all mean?
    Sorry if it is obvious!

Casey

6. Feb 1, 2008 #5
    It just means that

[tex]\tan^{-1}x + \frac{3\pi}{4} = 4t[/tex]

is equivalent to

[tex]\tan^{-1}x = 4t - \frac{3\pi}{4}[/tex]

:smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?