1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Separation of variables

1. Nov 13, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

utt = uxx -(25/4)cos((5/2)x)
    ux(0,t) =1
    u(pi,t)= pi
    u(x,0)=x
    ut(x,0)=0

2. Relevant equations

u(x,t)=v(x) + w(x,t)

3. The attempt at a solution

This is what I did so far:

u(x,t)=v(x) + w(x,t)
    u(x,0) = v(x) +w(x,0)

when t is large:
    vxx - (25/4)cos((5/2)x) = 0
    vx = (5/2)sin((5/2)x)
    v(x) = -cos((5/2)x) +x

when t is not large
    wtt = wxx
    w(x,t)= x-v(x) = cos((5/2)x)

and I'm not sure what to do after this

Maybe: X''+ λX = 0
    X'(0) = 1 and X(pi)= pi

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2013 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What does ##t## being large have to do with anything?

No. The point of your original substitution is to let ##v(x)## take care of the non-homogeneous terms. I will call ##f(x) = \frac {25}4\cos(\frac 5 2 x)## to save typing. What you want to do is substitute ##u(x,t) = v(x) + w(x,t)## into the equation ##u_{tt}=u_{xx}-f(x)## and its boundary conditions:

##u_{tt}=u_{xx}-f(x)## becomes ##w_{tt} = w_{xx}+v''(x) -f(x)## That will be satisfied if we take ##v''(x) = f(x)## and ##w_{tt} = w_{xx}##

Now ##u_x(0,t) = 1## becomes ##w_x(0,t) + v'(0) = 1##. That will be satisfied if we take ##v'(0)=1## and ##w_x(0,t)=0##.

##u(\pi,t)=\pi## becomes ##w(\pi,t) +v(\pi)=1##. That will be satisfied if we take ##v(\pi)=\pi## and ##w(\pi,t) = 0##.

Now with those conditions on ##v(x)## you should be able to solve for ##v(x)## and you have a homogeneous equation and boundary conditions in ##w##. Try to take it from there.

4. Nov 14, 2013 #3
    Thank you for your help, I m almost done solving this problem and got:

u(x,0)= Ʃ (cos((2n+1)/2)x)*Dn = x

sigma from 0 to infinity and Dn is a constant.

How do I find Dn?

5. Nov 14, 2013 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That isn't correct. You need to show your work so I can see where you fell off the tracks.

Remember, when you substitute in the initial condition you get$$
    x=u(x,0) = v(x) + w(x,0)$$so your initial condition for ##w(x,t)## is ##w(x,0)=x - v(x)##. What did you get for ##v(x)##?

Also, did you remember to check whether the eigenvalue zero works?

[Edit: Added] Your focus should be on solving the ##w(x,t)## system completely. That's where I need to see your work. Once you have figured that out, all you have to do to solve the ##u## system is write ##u(x,t) = v(x) + w(x,t)## because you know both ##v## and ##w##.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2013
  6. Nov 14, 2013 #5
    Sorry that was supposed to be w(x,t) not u(x,t). So:

Xn=C*cos((2n+1)/2)x
    Tn=D*cos((2n+1)/2)t)+(B*sin((2n+1)/2)t)

w(x,t) = Ʃ Xn * Tn

w(x,t) = Ʃcos((2n+1)/2)x)*((D*cos((2n+1)/2)t)+(B*sin((2n+1)/2)t))

so

w(x,0)=Ʃcos((2n+1)/2)x)*D

and

w(x,0) = cos(5/2)x

7. Nov 14, 2013 #6

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You need subscripts on the constants, as ##D_n## and ##B_n##. You didn't answer some of my questions in post #4. What did you get for ##v(x)##? Did you check for zero eigenvalues? (This matters as to whether there is a constant term). What does the initial condition for ##w(x,0)## become?

[Edit: added] Also you need to show what your T(t) eigenvalue problem becomes, with boundary condition, and how you got ##T_n(t)##, because what you have isn't correct.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted