Radii of Curvature for Separating CO2 with 12C and 14C

In summary, the conversation discusses a follow-up question related to a previous homework problem involving the radius of curvature of a doubly charged helium atom. The new question asks about separating singly charged CO2 with different isotopes and the charge required to isonize it. The conversation concludes with the clarification that only one extra charge is needed to isonize CO2.
negat1ve

Homework Statement

Use the same device to separate singly charged CO2 having 12C and 14C. What are the radii of curvature?

This is a follow up question based on a HW problem I answered last week. The original problem was this:

A doubly charged helium atom is accelerated by a voltage 2700V. What will be its radius of curvature if it moves in a plane perpendicular to a uniform 0.340-T field?

Homework Equations

r = mv/qB

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved the original problem by saying
q = 2e for the doubly charged He

On accelerating through V volts
1/2mv^2 = qV = (2e)V

Where v = velocity acquired
v = squrt(4eV/m) = 2*squrt(eV/m)

I figured out the mass to be m = 7.26 x 10^-26kg

And then plugging into the formula.

Now this new follow up question is throwing me off a little bit. Based on the question asked and info given how would you separate the CO2? And what would be the charge q of the CO2? I am thinking it would be the 6e from C + 8e(2) of O2 = 22e. Is this correct? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
No it's only the extra charge you put on to isonise it - generally just one e-

mgb_phys said:
No it's only the extra charge you put on to isonise it - generally just one e-

Oh ok I get it now. Thanks!

1. What is the significance of radii of curvature in separating CO2 with 12C and 14C?

Radii of curvature play a crucial role in separating CO2 with 12C and 14C due to their different molecular weights. This technique, known as isotope separation, takes advantage of the slight differences in radii of curvature between the two isotopes to separate them.

2. How is the curvature of a molecule's path affected by its mass?

The curvature of a molecule's path is directly proportional to its mass. Heavier molecules, such as 14C, have a larger radius of curvature compared to lighter molecules, such as 12C. This difference in curvature allows for the separation of the two isotopes.

3. What is the process of separating CO2 with 12C and 14C using radii of curvature?

The process of separating CO2 with 12C and 14C using radii of curvature involves passing the gas through a magnetic field, which causes the molecules to follow a curved path. The heavier 14C molecules will have a larger radius of curvature and will be deflected more, allowing them to be separated from the lighter 12C molecules.

4. How accurate is the separation of CO2 using radii of curvature?

The separation of CO2 using radii of curvature is a highly accurate method, with a precision of up to 99.9%. This is due to the small difference in radii of curvature between the two isotopes and the precise control of the magnetic field used in the process.

5. Are there any potential applications for separating CO2 using radii of curvature?

Yes, there are various potential applications for this technique. One of the main applications is in the production of enriched carbon for use in radiocarbon dating. It can also be used in the production of nuclear fuel and in the purification of other isotopes for medical and scientific research purposes.