Seperating metals in a solution

• Thread starter J_o_S
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Metals
In summary, a solution containing varying quantities of silver, barium, and iron (III) ions can be separated by precipitation. By adding anions of the same value (but negative) to the solution, precipitates can be formed with each ion. These anions include OH^-, CO3^2-, and PO4^3-. This procedure effectively separates all the metal ions. It is important to consider solubility products rather than oxidation states in this process.
J_o_S
A solution is found to have varying quantities of silver, barium and iron (III) ions.

Suggest a procedure for seperating the ions by precipitation.

Ok ...silver is +1, barium is +2, and iron (III) is +3... so I would have to add anions of the same value (but negative) to the solution in order to form precipitates.

so for example i could add OH^- and it would form a precipitate with the silver.

I could add CO3^2- and it would form a precipitate with the barium.

And I could add PO4^3- and it would form a precipitate with the iron (III) ions.

This procedure would separate all the metal ions.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

This is right... right? :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
anyone?

I'm pretty sure I'm rigght.. but just want to make sure.

thanks

Think in terms of solubility products, not oxidation states.

1. How can metals be separated from a solution?

Metals can be separated from a solution through a process called precipitation. This involves adding a chemical reagent that causes the metal ions to form a solid precipitate, which can then be filtered out of the solution.

2. What is the purpose of separating metals in a solution?

The purpose of separating metals in a solution is to extract and purify specific metals for various industrial and scientific applications. It is also used for environmental purposes to remove harmful metals from wastewater before it is released.

3. What factors affect the separation of metals in a solution?

The solubility of the metal ions, the pH of the solution, and the presence of other chemicals or ions can all affect the separation of metals in a solution. Temperature and the type of chemical reagent used can also play a role.

4. Can all metals be separated using the same method?

No, different metals require different methods for separation. Some metals may require a specific chemical reagent, while others may need to be separated through a different process such as electrolysis or solvent extraction.

5. What are the potential challenges in separating metals in a solution?

The main challenges in separating metals in a solution include the cost and availability of the necessary chemicals and equipment, as well as the proper handling and disposal of the resulting waste products. The solubility and reactivity of certain metals can also make the separation process more difficult.