1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Seperation Vector

1. Aug 28, 2005 #1
    Separation Vector

Let [itex]\vec{r}[/itex] be the seperation vector from a fixed point [itex](\acute{x},\acute{y},\acute{z})[/itex] to the source point [itex](x,y,z)[/itex].

Show that:

[tex]\nabla(\frac{1}{||\vec{r}||}) = \frac {-\hat{r}} {||\vec{r}||^2} [/tex]

Now, I've attempted this comeing from the approach that [itex]||\vec{r}|| = (\vec{r} \cdot \vec{r})^\frac {1} {2} [/itex] but it dosent seem to get me anywhere, am I missing something blatently obvious?

Thanks.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 28, 2005 #2
    Go back to the definition of the gradient in spherical coordinates.

4. Aug 28, 2005 #3
    Wouldnt that just complicate things further?

In Spherical Coordinates:

[tex]\displaystyle{ \nabla = \hat{r} \frac {\partial{}{}} {\partial{}{r}} + \frac {1}{r} \hat{\phi}\frac {\partial{}{}} {\partial{}{\phi}} + \frac {1}{r sin \phi} \hat{\theta}\frac {\partial{}{}} {\partial{}{\theta}} }[/tex]

I just don't see how that could simplify things?

5. Aug 28, 2005 #4
    Okay, nevermind on this...

Went with a totally different appraoch and things worked out nicely without having to go into spherical coordinates.

Thanks again.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?