Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Sequence Bound

1. Mar 16, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I need to show that series cos(n) for n=0,1,...,inf is bounded.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I understand that each of the terms of the sequence is bounded by 1. However, I cannot show the bound for the entire sequence? Could someone give some hints?

Last edited: Mar 16, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 16, 2012 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

So what's your bound for the individual terms?

4. Mar 16, 2012 #3
    Well ,obviously, -1 <= cos(n) <= 1, so |cos(n)| <=1

5. Mar 16, 2012 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's a bound for the sequence as well, isn't it?

6. Mar 16, 2012 #5
    How so? Thats not quite obvious to me.

7. Mar 16, 2012 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you call the general term of the sequence [itex]a_n=\cos n[/itex] then [itex]|a_n| \le 1[/itex]. Isn't that what you mean by a sequence bound?

8. Mar 16, 2012 #7
    Actually, I meant to say series, not sequence. I need to show bound of the series. My apologies.

Thus, for some n=N, the partial sum is bounded by N. I am struggling to show that the entire sum is bounded.

9. Mar 16, 2012 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's different! Try using [itex]e^{i n}=\cos n+i \sin n[/itex].

10. Mar 16, 2012 #9
    Do I need to express cos(n) as e[itex]^{in}[/itex] and then use geometric series?

11. Mar 16, 2012 #10

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Find a partial sum of the geometric series [itex]e^{in}[/itex]. Then to find the partial sum of cos(n) just find the real part of that.

12. Mar 16, 2012 #11
    I undestand. But isn't it easier to just find the total sum from 1 to infinity of the geometric series and essentially say that both cos(n) and sin(n) converge to the obtained number's real and imaginary parts respectively?

13. Mar 16, 2012 #12

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The series doesn't converge. But it is bounded.

14. Mar 16, 2012 #13
    But if you can obtain a finite number for geometric series of e[itex]^{in}[/itex], doesnt it mean that its real part is finite and cos(n) thus converges to a finite number? I think i am misunderstanding something.

15. Mar 16, 2012 #14

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The geometric series formula gives you (1-r^(n+1))/(1-r) for a partial sum. The r^(n+1) part doesn't converge. You have to try to bound the partial sum.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook