1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sequence Convergence proof

1. Mar 14, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let {a_n} be a sequence | (a_n+1)^2 < (a_n)^2, 0 < (a_n+1) + (a_n). Show that the sequence is convergent

2. Relevant equations

n/a

3. The attempt at a solution

So I am feeling like monotone convergence theorem is the way to go there. It seems to me that (a_n+1)^2 < (a_n)^2 would imply the sequence is decreasing, but I do not know what to do with 0 < (a_n+1) + (a_n) to show it is bounded.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 14, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Without the second inequality, you could construct series like 1+1/2, -1-1/3, 1+1/4, -1-1/5, ... - it has to be bounded based on the first inequality alone, but this is not sufficient for convergence.
    With both inequalities, you can rule out sign switches of a_n and get monotony.

4. Mar 14, 2013 #3
    I do not understand how the first inequality shows that a_n is bounded.

5. Mar 15, 2013 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

##a_{n+1}^2 < a_n^2## is equivalent to ##|a_{n+1}| < |a_n|##, which leads to ##|a_{n}| < |a_0|\, \forall n \in \mathbb{N}##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted