1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sequence convergence?

1. Sep 24, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If {s_n} is a bounded sequence of real numbers and {t_n} converges to 0, prove that {s_n*t_n} converges to 0.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know that since s_n is bounded, ||s_n|| <= M, but I cannot seem to find a way to make this work into the proof for convergence. Any help will be appreciated.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 24, 2009 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Since you have |sn| ≤ M what can you say about |sntn|?

4. Sep 24, 2009 #3
    You can conclude that ||s_n*t_n||<=||t_n|*M. I know that t_n < epsilon, but I am having trouble working around to that.

5. Sep 24, 2009 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

OK. Can you use that and the fact you know |tn| → 0, to claim if you were given ε > 0, you can make

|tnsn| < ε ?

6. Sep 24, 2009 #5
    Thanks; you have helped immensely.

7. Sep 24, 2009 #6
    Sorry, but I must still be stumped. I wrote the following:
    Proof: Let \epsilon > 0. By the definition of bounded, |s_n|<=M, where M is a real number and n is an integer. This implies that |s_n*t_n|<=|t_n|*M. Since we know that t_n approaches 0 and \epsilon > 0, it follows that |s_n*t_n| < \epsilon. We can therefore conclude that s_n*t_n approaches 0. End of proof.

I can't seem to get the "we need to find a positive integer N such that |s_n*t_n|<\epsilon" part. I can't find N. I seem to be caught up in the abstractness of it. I will certainly appreciate just a tiny bit more help. Thank you.

8. Sep 24, 2009 #7
    I think you have most of it. First of all, if [tex]\lim t_n = 0[/tex], then what can you say about it? So, let [tex]\forall \varepsilon > 0[/tex]. Since [tex](s_n)[/tex] is bounded, then [tex]\exists M > 0[/tex] such that [tex]|s_n| \leq M[/tex] for [tex]\forall n \in \mathbb{N}[/tex]. Since [tex]\lim t_n = 0[/tex], [tex]\exists N[/tex] such that [tex]\forall n > N[/tex], we have [tex]|t_n - 0| < \varepsilon /M [/tex]. Note that we have [tex]\varepsilon / M > 0[/tex] and this is perfectly valid (and the key to why your proof is a little lacking --- can you think of why we can write [tex]\varepsilon / M[/tex] instead of just the usual [tex]\varepsilon[/tex] on the right hand side of the above?).

Then it follows that
    [tex]|s_n t_n - 0| \leq M|t_n| < M \cdot \frac{\varepsilon}{M} = \varepsilon[/tex], for [tex]\forall n > N[/tex]. This completes the proof. :)

9. Sep 24, 2009 #8
    Ah, yes, it does!!! Thank you so much. This time I really do have it! Have a nice evening and thank you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook