1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sequence convergence

1. Mar 10, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Suppose {xn} is a sequence of positive numbers for which there exists c, 0<c<1, such that ([x][/n+1])/([x][/n])<c for all n in Z+. Prove that [x][/n] goes to zero.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Let the first term of {xn} be x, where n=1. Then by the given, [x][/n+1]/[x][/n]<1, therefore, [x][/1]>[x][/2]>[x][/3]>...>[x][/n]>[x][/n+1], hence sup{[x][/n]} = [x][/1].
    By the given, inf{[x][/n]}=0 so {xn} is bounded and strictly decreasing. We know a monotone sequence converges if and only if it is bounded, but I am having trouble proving that {xn} goes to zero.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 10, 2010 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Do you know why lim n->infinity of c^n goes to 0? Hint: take the log.

4. Mar 10, 2010 #3
    I understand why lim n -> ∞ c^n = 0, but I don't understand how it relates to the problem. I need to determine why {xn} goes to zero

5. Mar 10, 2010 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

x1<c*x0. x2<c*x1<c*(c*x0)=c^2*x0. x3<c*x2<c*(c^2*x0)=c^3*x0. Following?

6. Mar 10, 2010 #5
    since i can show that c^n*x0>xn and since c^n -> 0 then I can use the squeeze theorem to show that {xn} goes to zero...
    just want to make sure I made sense of that correctly

7. Mar 11, 2010 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sure. That's it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook