1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sequence converges

1. Oct 31, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data[/b]
    Let Jn : n [tex]\in[/tex]N be a sequence of intervals Jn=[tex]\left[[/tex]an,bn[tex]\right][/tex] such that J1[tex]\supset[/tex]J2[tex]\supset[/tex]...[tex]\supset[/tex]Jn[tex]\supset[/tex]Jn+1[tex]\supset[/tex]...
    suppose also that the sequence xn=an-bn converges to 0 as n tends to infinite.Show that there is exactly one point a such that a[tex]\in[/tex]Jn for all n [tex]\in[/tex]N

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    i don't know how to start it , any clue??

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 31, 2009 #2

jgens

Gold Member

Well, I'm dreadfully awful at sequence questions, so take my feedback with a grain of salt. Since the sequence [itex]x_n = b_n - a_n[/itex] converges to zero for arbitrarily large [itex]n[/itex], this means that [itex]\mathrm{inf}(b_n) = \mathrm{sup}(a_n) = c[/itex]. Can you prove that this number [itex]c[/itex] must always be an element of [itex][a_n,b_n][/itex].

4. Nov 1, 2009 #3
    still confusing

5. Nov 1, 2009 #4

jgens

Gold Member

The number [itex]c[/itex] would have the property that [itex]a_n \leq c \leq b_n[/itex] for all natural numbers [itex]n[/itex]. What does this tell you about [itex]c[/itex] and its relationship to the interval [itex][a_n,b_n][/itex]?

Again, I'm awful at these types of proofs, so if another member says something otherwise, I would follow their feedback (I'm just trying making sure that you actually have some feedback).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook