1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sequence help!

1. Nov 16, 2005 #1
    Help! I've been asked to decide whether or not the given sequence is

i) bounded above
    ii) bounded below
    iii) bounded

and to determine (where appropriate) the supremum and infimum.

I've got like 6 similar questions to attempt but I don't know where to start :confused: The examples we have been given in our notes are so complicated that I don't understand them :frown: Can someone show me how to approach the answer? Thanks very much!

I know Supremum is the least upper bound and infimum is the greatest lower bound.

http://tinypic.com/ftlrg5.jpg

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2005 #2
    Well quite clearly, since n is a natural number we have [tex]a_n = 1 + \frac{1}{n} \ge 1 + \frac{1}{{n + 1}} = a_{n + 1} [/tex]. So the 'non-alternating' part is a decreasing sequence. In fact, that part of your sequence will converge to 1. The behaviour of (-1)^n for natural numbers n is fairly obvious. You should now be able to decide on a bound.

4. Nov 17, 2005 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

First make certain that you know what "bounded above", "bounded below", and "bounded" MEAN!

Then write out a few terms of the sequence. It should quickly become obvious.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?