1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sequence homework problem help please

1. Jul 30, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Determine wheatehr the sequence diiverges or converges:

2. Relevant equations
    [tex] a_{n}=\frac{(n+2)!}{n!}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I was gonna treat it using limits but the factorial is not defined for a function.
    How do I deal with this?
    Edit: sorry it is suppose to be: [tex] a_{n}=\frac{(n+2)!}{n!}[/tex] not[tex] a_{n}=\frac{(n+1)!}{n!}[/tex]

Last edited: Jul 30, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 30, 2007 #2
    Try rewriting (n+1)! in a different form. What do you notice about the relationship between (n+1)! and n!?

4. Jul 30, 2007 #3
    Ok I am pretty sure the it will diverge because (n+1)! goes faster to infinity than n!

rewrite like: [tex] a_{n}= 1+\frac{1}{n!}[/tex] ?

5. Jul 30, 2007 #4
    Your rewritten version of the equation is not equal to the original equation. In fact, I believe the rewritten equation converges to 1 (do you see why?), thereby contradicting your statement above.

Please rewrite the numerator again, keeping in mind the goal of trying to simplify the equation.

6. Jul 30, 2007 #5
    can i say n! = n(n-1)! and sub that in?

7. Jul 30, 2007 #6
    Yes! You are on the right track. If you try rewriting the numerator instead of the denominator, I think you will have more luck.

8. Jul 30, 2007 #7
    but how would i rewrite the numerator?

9. Jul 30, 2007 #8

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

So, you know that n!= n(n-1)!... why is it not clear to you that that is precisely the same as (n+1)!=(n+1)n!? Or (n+1)!=(n+2)*(n+1)! ?????

10. Jul 30, 2007 #9
    how is n!= n(n-1)! the same as (n+1)!=(n+1)n!??

11. Jul 30, 2007 #10
    what I meant was how did u get that?

12. Jul 31, 2007 #11

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The formula is true for all n. If n!=n*(n-1)! then changing n->n+1 gives (n+1)!=(n+1)*n!. In this sense, it's the 'same formula'. You may wish to try this for n->n+2. Can you show (n+2)!=(n+2)*(n+1)*n! at least for large enough n?

13. Jul 31, 2007 #12
    Oh ok, thanks dick for clarifying, I just didn't think of it like that.
    Indeed I worked it out and n->n+2 is (n+2)!=(n+2)*(n+1)*n!.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?