Sequence homework problem help please

In summary, the conversation is about determining whether a given sequence converges or diverges. The equation for the sequence is a_{n}=\frac{(n+2)!}{n!} and the person discussing it is trying to find a way to simplify it. They initially try rewriting the equation using limits, but realize that the factorial is not defined for functions. The conversation then shifts to rewriting the equation using a different form, and eventually reaches the conclusion that the sequence will diverge because (n+1)! goes to infinity faster than n!. The conversation also includes a discussion about the relationship between n! and (n+1)!, and how changing the value of n in the formula affects the outcome.
Winzer

Homework Statement

Determine wheatehr the sequence diiverges or converges:

Homework Equations

[tex] a_{n}=\frac{(n+2)!}{n!}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I was going to treat it using limits but the factorial is not defined for a function.
How do I deal with this?
Edit: sorry it is suppose to be: [tex] a_{n}=\frac{(n+2)!}{n!}[/tex] not[tex] a_{n}=\frac{(n+1)!}{n!}[/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Try rewriting (n+1)! in a different form. What do you notice about the relationship between (n+1)! and n!?

Ok I am pretty sure the it will diverge because (n+1)! goes faster to infinity than n!

rewrite like: [tex] a_{n}= 1+\frac{1}{n!}[/tex] ?

Your rewritten version of the equation is not equal to the original equation. In fact, I believe the rewritten equation converges to 1 (do you see why?), thereby contradicting your statement above.

Please rewrite the numerator again, keeping in mind the goal of trying to simplify the equation.

can i say n! = n(n-1)! and sub that in?

Yes! You are on the right track. If you try rewriting the numerator instead of the denominator, I think you will have more luck.

but how would i rewrite the numerator?

So, you know that n!= n(n-1)!... why is it not clear to you that that is precisely the same as (n+1)!=(n+1)n!? Or (n+1)!=(n+2)*(n+1)! ?

how is n!= n(n-1)! the same as (n+1)!=(n+1)n!??

what I meant was how did u get that?

Winzer said:
what I meant was how did u get that?

The formula is true for all n. If n!=n*(n-1)! then changing n->n+1 gives (n+1)!=(n+1)*n!. In this sense, it's the 'same formula'. You may wish to try this for n->n+2. Can you show (n+2)!=(n+2)*(n+1)*n! at least for large enough n?

Oh ok, thanks dick for clarifying, I just didn't think of it like that.
Indeed I worked it out and n->n+2 is (n+2)!=(n+2)*(n+1)*n!.

1. What is a sequence?

A sequence is a set of numbers or objects that follow a specific pattern or rule. Each number or object in the sequence is called a term.

2. How do you find the next term in a sequence?

To find the next term in a sequence, you need to identify the pattern or rule that the sequence follows. Once you have identified the pattern, you can apply it to the previous terms in the sequence to determine the next term.

3. What is the difference between an arithmetic and geometric sequence?

An arithmetic sequence has a constant difference between each term, while a geometric sequence has a constant ratio between each term. In other words, in an arithmetic sequence, you add or subtract the same number to each term to get the next term, while in a geometric sequence, you multiply or divide each term by the same number to get the next term.

4. How do you find the sum of a sequence?

To find the sum of a sequence, you can use a formula, depending on whether the sequence is arithmetic or geometric. For an arithmetic sequence, the sum can be found using the formula Sn = n/2[2a + (n-1)d], where n is the number of terms, a is the first term, and d is the common difference. For a geometric sequence, the sum can be found using the formula Sn = a(r^n - 1)/ (r-1), where n is the number of terms, a is the first term, and r is the common ratio.

5. How are sequences used in real life?

Sequences are used in various fields of science, mathematics, and technology. They can be used to model natural phenomena, such as population growth or radioactive decay. In computer science, sequences are used in coding and data structures. In finance, sequences are used to calculate compound interest and predict stock market trends. In everyday life, sequences can be found in music, art, and sports.