1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sequence in first-countable compact topological space

1. Jul 18, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In a first countable compact topological space, every sequence has a convergent subsequence.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm self-studying topology, so I'm mostly trying to make sure that my argument is rigorous. I understanding intuitively why this argument doesn't work for a non-compact topological space, but I don't know why in a rigorous sense. I also have yet to take analysis, so I'm not very confident with sequences. Finally, I don't make use of the fact that the space is first-countable, which makes me suspicious.

Let [tex]X[/tex] be a first countable compact topological space, and let [tex]\{ p_n \}[/tex] be a sequence in [tex]X[/tex]. Since [tex]X[/tex] is compact, we will pick two open sets [tex]U_{1_a}[/tex] and [tex]U_{1_b}[/tex] such that [tex]U_{1_a} \cup U_{2_a} = X[/tex] and [tex]U_{1_a}\cap U_{1_b} \neq X[/tex]. By the pigeonhole principle, an infinite number of points in the sequence [tex]\{ p_n \}[/tex] will lie within one of these sets. Without loss of generality, we can say that this set is [tex]U_{1_a}[/tex]. Within [tex]U_{1_a}[/tex], we pick one point of [tex]\{ p_n \}[/tex] that lies within [tex] U_{1_a} [/tex] and call it [tex]q_1[/tex] to being constructing a subsequence.

Next, we cover [tex] U_{1_a} [/tex] with two open sets [tex] U_{2_a} [/tex] and [tex] U{2_b} [/tex] such that [tex] (U_{2_a} \cup U_{2_b}) \cap U_{1_a} = U_{1_a} [/tex] and [tex]U_{2_a} \cap U_{2_b} \neq U_{1_a}[/tex]. By the pigeonhole principle, an infinite number of points of the sequence [tex]\{ p_n \}[/tex] must lie within at least one of [tex]U_{2_a}[/tex] and [tex]U_{2_b}[/tex]. We will label this set with [tex]U_{2_a}[/tex] without loss of generality. We pick a point of [tex]\{p_n\}[/tex] that lies within [tex]U_{2_a}[/tex] and label it [tex]q_2[/tex], declaring it to be the second point of the subsequence.

We consider with this process inductively, to obtain a subsequence [tex]\{q_n\}[/tex] that converges to some [tex]q[/tex] that lies within [tex]U_{1_a} \cap U_{2_a} \cap \ldots[/tex]. Q.E.D.

I do not believe that this argument is correct because I do not make use of the fact that the space is first-countable. But, I do not know how to make use of that fact without being given a point that the subsequence converges to! So, where am I going wrong? I also do not think that I am making proper use of the fact that the space is compact, but I could be wrong.
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted