1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sequence math problem

1. Jan 12, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Prove that if f(x) is continuous for 0<f(x)<1, then [tex] lim_{n->\infty}\frac{1}{n}[(n+1)(n+2)(n+3)...(2n)]^{\frac{1}{n}}=\frac{4}{e}[/tex].

2. Relevant equations

f(x)=log(1+x)
    3. The attempt at a solution
    We know that [tex]lim_{n->\infty}\frac{1}{n}[f(\frac{1}{n})+f(\frac{2}{n})+f(\frac{3}{n})+....f(\frac{n}{n})]=\int_0^1 f(x)dx[/tex]

So that [tex]\int_0^1 log(1+x)(=f(x))dx [/tex] equals the sequence in the limit.
    But evaluation of the integral shows that it is a divergent one.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 12, 2012 #2

Char. Limit

Gold Member

Re: sequence

There's no way that integral can be divergent. In the interval between 0 and 1, log(1+x) is bounded by 0 and log(2), respectively. So the integral of log(1+x) needs to be between 0 and log(2). It should be relatively easy to prove that the integral is bounded above and below by those two numbers.

4. Jan 13, 2012 #3

Right, I should've fixed the limits of integration from 0to 1 to 1 to 2 when i did it. Thanks for point it out. Although I think the 1/n power indicated in the problem is not necessary.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2012
  5. Jan 13, 2012 #4

Char. Limit

Gold Member

So after you've found the value of the integral, what's your next step? Do you know?

6. Jan 13, 2012 #5

It turned out to be [tex] \lim_{n->\infty}\frac{1}{n}(n+1)(n+2)(n+3)...(2n)=\frac{e}{4}[/tex]

7. Jan 13, 2012 #6

Char. Limit

Gold Member

Hmm, but did you remember the 1/n power? First thing I'd try doing is taking the logarithm of the left and right sides.

8. Jan 13, 2012 #7

oops.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook